tobben15

US domicile-living in Poland

5 posts in this topic

Ok, so I'll try to make this as short as possible. I am the USC my husband the intending immigrant. I filed the I-130 on Friday June 1. I asked a few questions while I was there speaking with the counsel. He said that one of the things is that we had to have proof that we were intending to stay and live in the US during the interview process. Now I have lived in Poland for almost a year and Europe going on 3 years this July. My plans are to have my mother be a joint sponsor. The counsel said that I should have a work contract or a lease signed to show that we are intending to live in the US. Now how am I supposed to do that first because I don't know when they will approve the visa and second if they will and third exactly when we will be able to leave here (we both have signed contracts at work). My question is will they deny my husband a visa if we don't have definite plans? We are in no hurry to leave here and there is the 6 months you have after it has been approved, so I don't see why I need to get a lease or work contract so soon.

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.

June 1, 2007: I-130 delivered at Embassy

June 1, 2007: Received packet 3

June 10,2007: Sent DS-230 part 1 by email

July 26, 2007: Applied for SVK police cert. at embassy in Warsaw

July 27, 2007: Applied/Received Polish police certificate.

August 7, 2007: Applied for CZK police certificate at embassy in Warsaw

September 5, 2007: Received SVK police certificate

September 5, 2007: Medical examination

September 13, 2007: Received CZK police certificate

September 14, 2007: Emailed form IV/F04 (checklist) to embassy saying we have all documents and are ready for interview.

September 28, 2007: Received email saying they couldn't open the attachment so I sent IV/F04/checklist by fax.

October 10, 2007: Received email confirming they have received fax

October 16, 2007: Received Packet 4

November 15, 2007: Interview, (had to have two police certs translated to English instead of Polish)

November 16, 2007: Two police cert. brought to embassy. Visa approved!!!!!

November 19, 2007: Visa in hand.

March 23, 2008: POE Chicago, IL

Ok, so I'll try to make this as short as possible. I am the USC my husband the intending immigrant. I filed the I-130 on Friday June 1. I asked a few questions while I was there speaking with the counsel. He said that one of the things is that we had to have proof that we were intending to stay and live in the US during the interview process. Now I have lived in Poland for almost a year and Europe going on 3 years this July. My plans are to have my mother be a joint sponsor. The counsel said that I should have a work contract or a lease signed to show that we are intending to live in the US. Now how am I supposed to do that first because I don't know when they will approve the visa and second if they will and third exactly when we will be able to leave here (we both have signed contracts at work). My question is will they deny my husband a visa if we don't have definite plans? We are in no hurry to leave here and there is the 6 months you have after it has been approved, so I don't see why I need to get a lease or work contract so soon.

That sounds really weird to me. You should have US domicile I think, but all that truly involves is continuing to file US tax returns and perhaps maintaining some accounts, like a US credit card. The whole point of allowing people to file directly as US consulates is that those US citizens aren't currently living in the states. And how can you be in the states during the interview process when the interview doesn't take place in the states? And your husband could very well get turned away at the US because it would look like he was intending to immigrant on that trip.

Your husband will be asked about the address where he intends to live in the US - just use your mother's address. Or if you'll be staying with someone else when you first arrive, you would use that address.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Timeline

That sounds really weird to me. You should have US domicile I think, but all that truly involves is continuing to file US tax returns and perhaps maintaining some accounts, like a US credit card. The whole point of allowing people to file directly as US consulates is that those US citizens aren't currently living in the states. And how can you be in the states during the interview process when the interview doesn't take place in the states? And your husband could very well get turned away at the US because it would look like he was intending to immigrant on that trip.

Your husband will be asked about the address where he intends to live in the US - just use your mother's address. Or if you'll be staying with someone else when you first arrive, you would use that address.

That's how London deals with domicile but she won't be going through them. She said the counsel (I'm guessing she meant consul) is telling her that she has to have a lease and/or a job.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Technically, proving you have maintained domicile in the US should be the same thing, regardless of the embassy at which you're filing. It should be enough to show you've filed taxes, that you still have American bank accounts, that you have an address in the US, that you're still registered to vote, etc. It can help to show that you have been looking for a job in the United States, but then this is pretty difficult to document, and also, as you said, difficult given that you don't know exactly how long this process will take and when you will make the move back to the US.

I would not worry too much about the job, particularly if you have a joint sponsor. You will, however, need to have an address in the US to put down as your domicile in the US as you continue with this process. I used my parents' address, since I have all of my belongings stored there and that is where my mail has been going since we've been living in Germany.

Best wishes,

Mary

That's how London deals with domicile but she won't be going through them. She said the counsel (I'm guessing she meant consul) is telling her that she has to have a lease and/or a job.

December 11, 2006: I-130 Petition signed for in Frankfurt.

December 21, 2006: Credit Card charged $190.

February 6, 2007: Heard back from Frankfurt. They want proof that our relationship is bonafide.

February 8, 2007: Sent proof (old emails, joint bank account statements, story of how we met)

February 24, 2007: I-130 Approved. Received Packet 3 in the mail.

February 26, 2007: Faxed OF-169 (checklist) to Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt; Mailed back DS-230 Part I

March 2, 2007: Received Packet 4 (Interview Appointment Scheduled)

April 2, 2007: Interview in Frankfurt; Visa Approved!

April 5, 2007: Visa received.

June 27, 2007: POE Boston.

July 23, 2007: Went to local social security office and applied for number in person (although D had checked off the box to receive one on the DS-230).

July 30, 2007: Daniel received his social security number and greencard in the mail.

March 31, 2009: Mailed I-751 to Vermont USCIS

April 2, 2009: I-751 application received (saw this with USPS tracking)

Filed: Timeline
Technically, proving you have maintained domicile in the US should be the same thing, regardless of the embassy at which you're filing. It should be enough to show you've filed taxes, that you still have American bank accounts, that you have an address in the US, that you're still registered to vote, etc. It can help to show that you have been looking for a job in the United States, but then this is pretty difficult to document, and also, as you said, difficult given that you don't know exactly how long this process will take and when you will make the move back to the US.

I would not worry too much about the job, particularly if you have a joint sponsor. You will, however, need to have an address in the US to put down as your domicile in the US as you continue with this process. I used my parents' address, since I have all of my belongings stored there and that is where my mail has been going since we've been living in Germany.

Best wishes,

Mary

Technically, it should be the same. Realistically, it is not. Just ask some of the people in the Philippines forum about domicile.

You could be domicile-less and still be approved in London. We were. Bank accounts? Nope. Address? Nope. Registered to vote? Nope. Apparently if you are not domiciled in the US you cannot be approved through Manila, but you can through London.

So...technically, it's not the same.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.