Casablanko

Attended N-400 interview and it's been 5 months with no response!

7 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

Can anyone advise what to do?

I have attended my N-400 interview at Los Angeles office while I had my I-751 pending. The officer said everything was fine but the I-751 has to be approved prior to scheduling the oath ceremony. My I-751 got approved 2.5 months after but I haven't heard anything about my N-400. 

I submitted an inquiry for out of processing time after 120 days of the interview (As the form N-652 says)and they got back to me in less than a week saying it's still under processing and I can reach out to them again if I don't receive any response within 90 days. (Now I need to wait another 90 days before I can submit another inquiry?!)

I have read through few topics here and a lot of people say by law, they have to give me a decision within 120 days and now I'm passed 150 days after my N-400 interview.

I even tried to send a letter with the officer attention letting her know that my I-751got approved but that didn't help either (I sent this letter right after I got the approval notice for I-751)

I'm really sick of waiting and wanted to see if anyone had a similar situation with Los Angeles office...

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Casablanko said:

Hello guys,

Can anyone advise what to do?

I have attended my N-400 interview at Los Angeles office while I had my I-751 pending. The officer said everything was fine but the I-751 has to be approved prior to scheduling the oath ceremony. My I-751 got approved 2.5 months after but I haven't heard anything about my N-400. 

I submitted an inquiry for out of processing time after 120 days of the interview (As the form N-652 says)and they got back to me in less than a week saying it's still under processing and I can reach out to them again if I don't receive any response within 90 days. (Now I need to wait another 90 days before I can submit another inquiry?!)

I have read through few topics here and a lot of people say by law, they have to give me a decision within 120 days and now I'm passed 150 days after my N-400 interview.

I even tried to send a letter with the officer attention letting her know that my I-751got approved but that didn't help either (I sent this letter right after I got the approval notice for I-751)

I'm really sick of waiting and wanted to see if anyone had a similar situation with Los Angeles office...

Thanks in advance!

Hey looks like your local office is a bit busy. By now you already have 10 yr GC? Just hang in and everything will come out great. BTW have you been recommended for approval or cannot be decided? What was your outcome from the interview?

Since you have already raised an inquiry related to your case, I am sure they would have sent it to oath department (they have work on the schedule and work on it). What is the status showing on your case online?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 10 Months 9 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 07, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed by Mail

July 11, 2017 (Day 04) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 12, 2017 (Day 05) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online status, letter mailed out

July 18, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/10/17

Aug 10, 2017 (Day 34) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 40) - Inline for Interview status

Feb 21, 2018 (Day 225) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Feb 28, 2018 (Day 232) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 04/02/18

Apr. 02, 2018 (Day 265) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Apr. 16, 2018 (Day 279) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Inline for Oath Ceremony"

Apr. 30, 2018 (Day 293) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

May. 03, 2018 (Day 296) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

May. 16, 2018 (Day 309) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Applied for US Passport - requested Routine/ Regular Service

May. 18, 2018 (Day 00) - Submitted Passport Application, filed in person at Post Office

May. 24, 2018 (Day 06) - Online tracker shows application has been received and is under processing

Jun. 7, 2018 (Day 20) - Online tracker shows mailed

Jun. 09, 2018 (Day 22) - Passport received in the mail.

June, 15, 2018 (Day 28) - Naturalization Certificate received back in the mail.

1 hour ago, ksp9 said:

Hey looks like your local office is a bit busy. By now you already have 10 yr GC? Just hang in and everything will come out great. BTW have you been recommended for approval or cannot be decided? What was your outcome from the interview?

Since you have already raised an inquiry related to your case, I am sure they would have sent it to oath department (they have work on the schedule and work on it). What is the status showing on your case online?

Thanks Ksp9 for your reply! Yes, I got my 10 years GC. And I got no decision can't be made. Interview went really well but he said I-751 has to be approved first...

Status online is stuck on We scheduled your interview (almost 7 months without updates.)

2 hours ago, ksp9 said:

I have a different opinion. Sue them; file a Petition for a Hearing on Naturalization under 8 USC 1447(b) in your local district court. It'll force USCIS to make a decision perhaps in 60 days or fewer, depending on the reason for the delay. You have the core elements of a suit: 120 days have passed since your initial interview, and USCIS has not issued a decision in that time.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:12 PM, afrocraft said:

I have a different opinion. Sue them; file a Petition for a Hearing on Naturalization under 8 USC 1447(b) in your local district court. It'll force USCIS to make a decision perhaps in 60 days or fewer, depending on the reason for the delay. You have the core elements of a suit: 120 days have passed since your initial interview, and USCIS has not issued a decision in that time.

Thanks afrocraft for your reply. I have heard similar opinions to your approach. I think I'd leave that to be my last option. I'm assuming my application is left behind in the drawers and I'm just trying to see if I can do anything to make them open my application and make a decision.

3 hours ago, Casablanko said:

Thanks afrocraft for your reply. I have heard similar opinions to your approach. I think I'd leave that to be my last option. I'm assuming my application is left behind in the drawers and I'm just trying to see if I can do anything to make them open my application and make a decision.

OK then. I wish you the best of luck. I hope you're not making the mistake of many others who see 90 days turn into 180 into 360 into.... Be aware that 1) the vast majority of 1447(b) "lawsuits" are settled out of court by USCIS agreeing to issue a decision in short order, so should only be seen as a forcing device, not some nuclear option to be feared; and 2) USCIS cannot deny your N-400 in retaliation without stating a valid legal reason.

• 2 years later...
On 6/23/2019 at 10:18 PM, Casablanko said:

How long did your application end up taking post interview? Did you find out if it was some background check issue or some other reason for delay? I'm also 5 months post interview with no response. Did you have to file a legal case to get a response?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.