pm_1234

Need your advice - Income requirement

25 posts in this topic

I submitted my DS-260, AOS form, and documents about 2 weeks ago and today I received the following note (with all documents showing "accepted"):

"The petitioner does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrant for this case. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 for a joint sponsor may be submitted. "

It is true that I don't have a US-earned income since I am a graduate student in Canada. However, I uploaded proof of financial assets (money in saving and investment accounts) that is well beyond the poverty line for a family of two (more than 3 times of the poverty line) and this should have covered the insufficiency in my income. 

So, I am puzzled why they have the note about my income. Also, does the message mean that I have to submit the AOS with a joint sponsor? Is my case on hold till I submit a new I-864 form with a joint sponsor?

I really appreciate it if you could share your thoughts or experiences on the same issue or similar issues.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Rainbow3e said:

Do you have a lawyer to help you do the paperwork?

Yes, we have a lawyer. It was his suggestion that we use our assets for lack of income even though I could easily add a sponsor.  

His secretary told me yesterday that the NVC is wrong in their statement and we can explain the situation in a letter. However, I think it is just much safer and honestly a lot easier to add a joint sponsor.

3 minutes ago, Rainbow3e said:

Same thing happened to me. Assets is 20 times income requirement but still get deny. They tell me to find a new sponsor....??? 

Oh really! Then, they need to update their instructions because they clearly stated that assets can substitute the lack of minimum income!

what did you do? did you add a joint sponsor?

2 minutes ago, Rainbow3e said:

Both of my sponsor and joint sponsor don’t have enough income, that’s why we have to add assets. NVC approved my case last year. Now my case is stuck at the US Consulate... It’s not easy for me to find a new joint sponsor 😐

So, you actually did not add anything to your file after receiving the note that the petitioner's income is not sufficient?

What do you mean by your case is stuck at the US consulate? Is it because you are waiting for an interview time or is it for the problem with the income?

On 5/30/2019 at 7:16 AM, Rainbow3e said:

Please update your case if anything happens. I have not done anything yet since I got their letter saying that the income ...

Sure, I will let you know once we have a new update. So, I had a question about your case. 

As I understood, your assets were accepted by the NVC but failed at the interview? 

On 5/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, Rainbow3e said:

We are working on it. I went through the interview last February, it’s weird when NVC already approved the financial paperwork but the consulate/embassy does not accept it. They only focus on income, and don’t care about assets. 

Hello and I am so sorry that you are going through this.. :( If you don't mind, can you please tell me what country you are in? From what I understand, the assets don't have to be accepted and it is dependent on the embassy you go to and whether the officer chooses to accept the assets as financial support or not.. :( 

36 minutes ago, SallySaidHi said:

Hello and I am so sorry that you are going through this.. :( If you don't mind, can you please tell me what country you are in? From what I understand, the assets don't have to be accepted and it is dependent on the embassy you go to and whether the officer chooses to accept the assets as financial support or not.. :( 

My lawyer told me our case is on hold until we submit the joint sponsor documents.

2 minutes ago, Parisa_1234 said:

My lawyer told me our case is on hold until we submit the joint sponsor documents.

What embassy/consulate are you working with?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.