Rexxx

Name change during or after NVC before it get to embassy?

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Filed I-130 for CR1 back in March, and now officially got my NOA2 after 47 days! that was much quicker than I thought.

So my petition is on its way to NVC for next stage as of right now, and my wife just ask me if she can  change  her maiden name to married name . All the application and documents I filled out so far have only her maiden name in it, while waiting on the application goes to NVC, is it safe for her to change names?

I did some search on this topic and many thread has indicating that won't be a big problem, just email NVC about name change with new passport bio page and statement, and update name when filling out DS-260.

hmmm, if that's the case, I will just told her to get the name legally changed.  Will it significant delay the NVC process? I was wanted to wait until she gets here and then change name later, but my wife told me it is very hard to change legal name in Japan if she doesn't do it within a certain period.

--------

you may wondering I should have post this on NVC sub,  but actually I have got a green light from US Embassy Tokyo to expedite the process once I have the case # , and NVC would forward my application directly to them right? 

On the other research I had, people said just finish all other paperwork using maiden name, and then just bring old and new passport to the final interview, and explain the name change, they would then issue visa on the new passport? is that true? 

What should I do?

I-130 Sent : 2019-03-22

I-130 NOA1 :

I-130 NOA1(Account Access Letter) :

I-130 Called for Expedite (requested accepted)

I-130 Expedite Documents sent and received by TSC

I-130 petition approved

NOA2 Received, Notice Date 15 May 2019

NVC Received File, assigned case# and invoice#

NVC Expedite requested and approved

NVC Sent file to Embassy ( In-Transit )

Embassy Received, scheduled for interview on 08-13 

VISA Approved

POE Detroit, reunited with my wife

i-751 Sent (Remove Conditions on Residence) 

i-751 NOA1 Received (18 months extension)

Biometrics taken

i-751 RFE Request

i-751 RFE Documents Sent

i-751 Approved!!!

2019-04-04

2019-04-07

2019-04-08

2019-05-14

2019-05-15

2019-05-21

2019-06-19

2019-06-19

2019-06-19

2019-06-20

2019-08-13

2019-10-03

2021-07-27

2021-08-05

2021-09-29

2023-08-04

2023-10-12

2023-10-17

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.