Daron and Honey

Wife and Stepchildren IR1/IR2

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just read on a Thailand legal website that an un-married couple in Thailand the woman has sole custody.  Now, there are two types of marriages in Thailand.1. being married through the church, and 2. A legal marriage through the Amphur,(government office).  We also have, but front what I have read is not needed, a sole custody document from the government giving my wife sole custody of her children.  My question is, What does the US require in these aspects to dealing with bringing Stepchildren to the US?

I have pasted below the paragraph located on the Siam Legal website.

Thailand Child custody for an unmarried couple

If the unmarried couple has a child born out of the marriage, the mother of the child only has the sole custody over the child. However, prior to considering whether the father should exercise the custody rights over the child, the child must be registered as a legitimate child of the father first. To legitimize a child, the father has to register a legimation of the child in Thailand with the local district office. If the mother and the child consent to such legitimation; then the registration allows the father to have the joint custody or sole custody over the child upon the agreement between the father and the mother of the child.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Daron and Honey said:

I just read on a Thailand legal website that an un-married couple in Thailand the woman has sole custody.  Now, there are two types of marriages in Thailand.1. being married through the church, and 2. A legal marriage through the Amphur,(government office).  We also have, but front what I have read is not needed, a sole custody document from the government giving my wife sole custody of her children.  My question is, What does the US require in these aspects to dealing with bringing Stepchildren to the US?

I have pasted below the paragraph located on the Siam Legal website.

Thailand Child custody for an unmarried couple

If the unmarried couple has a child born out of the marriage, the mother of the child only has the sole custody over the child. However, prior to considering whether the father should exercise the custody rights over the child, the child must be registered as a legitimate child of the father first. To legitimize a child, the father has to register a legimation of the child in Thailand with the local district office. If the mother and the child consent to such legitimation; then the registration allows the father to have the joint custody or sole custody over the child upon the agreement between the father and the mother of the child.

That situation is quite similar to the Philippines.  Unless the child is legitimized, nothing more than evidence the parents weren't married, is needed by international child traffic laws or US Immigration law.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
4 hours ago, pushbrk said:

That situation is quite similar to the Philippines.  Unless the child is legitimized, nothing more than evidence the parents weren't married, is needed by international child traffic laws or US Immigration law.

And, just exactly how are we supposed to prove that they were not married?  Would it be listed on the birth certificate?  If any issues about this, where in the process might I expect this to happen?  She does have a sole custody document and she was un-married. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 minute ago, Daron and Honey said:

And, just exactly how are we supposed to prove that they were not married?  Would it be listed on the birth certificate?  If any issues about this, where in the process might I expect this to happen?  She does have a sole custody document and she was un-married. 

Most countries have a registry of marriages.  The US is one rare exception to that. Not sure of the answer for Thailand but the birth certificate would be the first place I would look.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.