Skye1202

Correct Affidavit of Support forms and supporting documents

1 post in this topic

Hi, I’m the petitioner’s beneficiary, and I’m really confused with the affidavit of support forms. Here’s our situation:

The petitioner (my husband), recently moved back in the US (he used to live here in the PH & is a dual citizen). He has never been employed, thus haven’t been filing taxes. He moved in with his father in the US. We’re planning to have his father as our co-sponsor/joint sponsor. Now here is where we got confused, should we go thru the Household member route or the Joint sponsor route? Also the following items must be noted:

- his father has been filing joint tax returns with his mom, but his mom is not a USC and is not working in the states

- his father has 10 in his household size based on his ITR last 2015 (but I double checked his income, and it can still accommodate me given the poverty guidelines of 2019

- my husband is listed as his dependent in his tax returns

Option 1: Household combining their incomes: my husband, the USC petitioner and the principal sponsor shall submit an i-864 indicating $0.00 income, and providing a letter explaining non filing of taxes. His father will submit an i-864A, and must submit his IRS tax transcript including his W2s, and employment verification( question: what other docs does he need to submit that are income related?). And to support this route, he must submit proof showing that he and my husband lives in the same residence (IDs, and bills addressed to him), and show their relationship (birth certificate!! What other docs do we need to submit to prove this?). — Question for this, do we need to add my mother in law’s i-864A since they(my father in law and her) file their taxes together? Will it be valid even if she’s not a us citizen, and technically she doesn’t live with them? (She’ll be retiring soon as a flight attendant, and she’s based in HK) — i’m also a bit iffy with this route as I feel like it’s cheating since we won’t be declaring the household size of the household member (it is indicated in the itr, but not being asked for in the i-864A), and my husband has $0.00 income, so we’ll be relying solely on his father’s income for this AOS.

Option 2: Joint sponsor route wherein my husband will submit i-864 as principal sponsor, and my father in law will submit i-864 as the joint sponsor. This means I will be added to his household size of 10– (upon checking it is still allowed for his income). For this one, do we need to submit i-864A for his mom, and for the other dependents listed in his tax returns (as far as I know non of them are working, and the other one has moved out from his house recently)? Same conditions as above, his mom is not a USC and does not live with them. 

Please help us out, we really don’t know which forms to prepare. Should I prepare both? Just in case, we filed via DCF in manila so we’ll be bringing these docs for the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.