Mcy

Birth Certificate

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. Does the usem allow affidavits on birth certificate discrepancies? I just recently found out that I’ve been using my mother’s surname on my bc. However, on my official documents like passport, school records and driver’s license I have my father’s surname. I was born out of wedlock but I was able to use my father’s surname when I applied for a passport when I was 10. 

38 minutes ago, Myf said:

Hi. Does the usem allow affidavits on birth certificate discrepancies? I just recently found out that I’ve been using my mother’s surname on my bc. However, on my official documents like passport, school records and driver’s license I have my father’s surname. I was born out of wedlock but I was able to use my father’s surname when I applied for a passport when I was 10. 

You would need to have an annotation on the side of your birth certificate. When you took your passport your id and birth certificate had different last name, did they accept the affidavit?

Edited by GreenGem

Timeline
56 minutes ago, GreenGem said:

You would need to have an annotation on the side of your birth certificate. When you took your passport your id and birth certificate had different last name, did they accept the affidavit?

I’m not really sure cause I was only 10 when we applied for my passport. But when I applied for the driver’s license they didn’t ask for my bc. Would that be a reason for 221g later on? 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Myf said:

The embassy may very well ask questions, for sure bring all documentation that you have.   Be prepared for them to ask for further documents .. and if they don't . be all smiles.  ;)  

If you BC has you last name same as you mother, how were you able to get your passport in your father's surname, did he add his name to the BC and sign it?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 hours ago, Myf said:

I’m not really sure cause I was only 10 when we applied for my passport. But when I applied for the driver’s license they didn’t ask for my bc. Would that be a reason for 221g later on? 

Did your parents get married after you where born and before you got your passport? If they did, bring your parent's marriage certificate and your birth certificate to the local civil registrar's office where you live and ask them what you need to do, also tell them that you were born out of wedlock. It does not take that long and not too expensive either. I had my bc's annotation done in two months. Cost me probably around Php1,500 - year 2013 tho. Have you been approved with uscis and are now on the NVC stage? Is your father in your birth certificate?

Edited by GreenGem

I did some reading and found this.

If you're born after August 3, 1988, Birth certificate already registered and child is under the surname of the mother and the father executed an affidavit of acknowledgment. If your father executed and affidavit of acknowledgement then you don't need to do anything else. You using your father's last name is totally fine. You can contact the registrar's office where you were registered and see if this has been done. I think they did because they we're able to get you a passport under your father's name.

If born before August 3, 1988, Child under the surname of the mother and acknowledged by the father through authentic writing. Under this you're also fine. 

For more info click here.

Edited by GreenGem

Timeline
8 hours ago, Hank_ said:

The embassy may very well ask questions, for sure bring all documentation that you have.   Be prepared for them to ask for further documents .. and if they don't . be all smiles.  ;)  

If you BC has you last name same as you mother, how were you able to get your passport in your father's surname, did he add his name to the BC and sign it?

My father’s name is on the bc. As to how they were able to get my passport i’m not really sure. I’ve been using my father’s surname since I was in grade school and also when I applied for gov’t ID’s they did not ask for my bc. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, GreenGem said:

Did your parents get married after you where born and before you got your passport? If they did, bring your parent's marriage certificate and your birth certificate to the local civil registrar's office where you live and ask them what you need to do, also tell them that you were born out of wedlock. It does not take that long and not too expensive either. I had my bc's annotation done in two months. Cost me probably around Php1,500 - year 2013 tho. Have you been approved with uscis and are now on the NVC stage? Is your father in your birth certificate?

Yes I was born out of wedlock.  I think my father executed an affidavit but I don’t where it is.  We’re still waiting on the NOA2. Are they going to ask me to change the passport on my mother’s surname? 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Myf said:

My father’s name is on the bc. As to how they were able to get my passport i’m not really sure. I’ve been using my father’s surname since I was in grade school and also when I applied for gov’t ID’s they did not ask for my bc. 

The BC hasn't been annotated?       You may have a BC issue that needs attention.   I would take that to the local registry, along with your passport and ask a few questions.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
4 hours ago, Myf said:

Yes I was born out of wedlock.  I think my father executed an affidavit but I don’t where it is.  We’re still waiting on the NOA2. Are they going to ask me to change the passport on my mother’s surname? 

When was the last time your passport was renewed?

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

When was the last time your passport was renewed?

I renewed my passport in 2017. My bc hasn’t been annotated. I could get a PSA copy but the surname is under my mother’s name. 

11 hours ago, Myf said:

I was asking if they got married after you we're born. Either way I believe that the affidavit is in the back of the bc or 2nd page. My kids we're born out of wedlock as well and the 2nd page of the bc is the acknowledgement. It says "Affidavit of Acknowledgement/Admission of Paternity". Check if your dad signed it. If he did then you're good. Make sure you have the PSA original when you go to your interview and double check if it matches your local bc. If asked during the interview why your last name is different on your bc tell them that you use your father's last name and your back up is the affidavit on the back of your bc. Remember to NOT give unsolicited info to the CO. Only answer questions you are asked. Goodluck!

They're not going to ask you to change your passport. You are allowed to use your father's last name even if it is not what is in your bc based on RA. 9255 - REVISED IMPLEMENTING RULES AND REGULATIONS OF REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9255 (An Act Allowing Illegitimate Children to Use the Surname of Their Father, Amending for the Purpose Article 176 of Executive Order No. 209, Otherwise Known as the "Family Code of the Philippines")

Edited by GreenGem

5 hours ago, Myf said:

I renewed my passport in 2017. My bc hasn’t been annotated. I could get a PSA copy but the surname is under my mother’s name. 

If you were able to renew your passport with no problem I think you have the annotation and you're just not aware of it. It goes like this. "''The child shall be known as (full name of the child) pursuant to RA  9255."" My kids' bc has this when I registered them on the local civil registrar's office because they were born out of wedlock.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, GreenGem said:

If you were able to renew your passport with no problem I think you have the annotation and you're just not aware of it. It goes like this. "''The child shall be known as (full name of the child) pursuant to RA  9255."" My kids' bc has this when I registered them on the local civil registrar's office because they were born out of wedlock.

25 minutes ago, GreenGem said:

I was asking if they got married after you we're born. Either way I believe that the affidavit is in the back of the bc or 2nd page. My kids we're born out of wedlock as well and the 2nd page of the bc is the acknowledgement. It says "Affidavit of Acknowledgement/Admission of Paternity". Check if your dad signed it. If he did then you're good. Make sure you have the PSA original when you go to your interview and double check if it matches your local bc. If asked during the interview why your last name is different on your bc tell them that you use your father's last name and your back up is the affidavit on the back of your bc. Remember to NOT give unsolicited info to the CO. Only answer questions you are asked. Goodluck!

They're not going to ask you to change your passport. You are allowed to use your father's last name even if it is not what is in your bc based on RA. 9255 - REVISED IMPLEMENTING RULES AND REGULATIONS OF REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9255 (An Act Allowing Illegitimate Children to Use the Surname of Their Father, Amending for the Purpose Article 176 of Executive Order No. 209, Otherwise Known as the "Family Code of the Philippines")

Yes they got married after I was born. I was able to get the AUSF at the lcr with my father’s signature and I even asked him to write an updated letter. Hope that would be enough. Thank you so much for your help.😁

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.