TomTom

Changing last name after wedding while AOS?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

We'd like to keep my fiancee's last name, which basically means that I (as the beneficiary) need to change my name. As this is not easy to do as a man in most states of the US, we have a different plan. We plan to get married and both keep out last names for now. Then a few days after we get married as soon as we have all required documents we plan to file for AOS, EAD and AP. I assume I can keep my passport. Since there's no sex discrimination for changing names due to marriage in Germany (as opposed to the US), the plan is to legally accept the last name of my fiancee under German law. At some point I will have to send in my old passport and they're going to send me my new passport with my new last name together with my old passport back to me, so I won't have my passport for maybe 2 weeks or so. Once I have my new passport we'd have to somehow update my last name for the pending AOS, EAD and AP, also for the SSN (which I plan to get before getting married, while the K-1 is still valid).

Should this plan work, and will there be fees for changing my name of a pending AOS/EAD/AP?

02/04/2008: Received permanent resident card (approved 01/30/2008)

11/01/2009: File for removal of conditions

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
We'd like to keep my fiancee's last name, which basically means that I (as the beneficiary) need to change my name. As this is not easy to do as a man in most states of the US, we have a different plan. We plan to get married and both keep out last names for now. Then a few days after we get married as soon as we have all required documents we plan to file for AOS, EAD and AP. I assume I can keep my passport. Since there's no sex discrimination for changing names due to marriage in Germany (as opposed to the US), the plan is to legally accept the last name of my fiancee under German law. At some point I will have to send in my old passport and they're going to send me my new passport with my new last name together with my old passport back to me, so I won't have my passport for maybe 2 weeks or so. Once I have my new passport we'd have to somehow update my last name for the pending AOS, EAD and AP, also for the SSN (which I plan to get before getting married, while the K-1 is still valid).

Should this plan work, and will there be fees for changing my name of a pending AOS/EAD/AP?

Not trying to be unhelpful, but I really think this would be best served by consulting with an attorney.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline

TomTom,

No, you don't. You may want to, but you do not need to.

Have you checked the law in the state where you plan to marry? Maybe it will be easier than you think. Or get married in a state where it is easy.

Yodrak

We'd like to keep my fiancee's last name, which basically means that I (as the beneficiary) need to change my name. As this is not easy to do as a man in most states of the US,....

:luv:

I was trying to figure this out too!!!

My AOS/EAD are pending, and I applied with my maiden name, but I would love to change it before USCIS issues any of the cards. :help:

All I could find is that if everything goes smoothly and I receive a GC, I could submit form I-90 (the fee is $260 and I will need another set of biometrics taken) to have the GC replaced with my new name.

It's so sweet you're taking your fiancee's last name!!!!

AOS

Mar-23-07 : AOS/EAD/I-130 received at Chicago

Mar-28-07 : NOA 1-797

Apr-13-07 : RFE sent

Apr-14-07 : Bio done

May-04-07: RFE response received at Lee's Summit, MO

May-29-07 Interview scheduled!! Received I-797C, Notice of action dated May 23

Jun-07-07 : E-mail from CRIS stating card production ordered for EAD on June 7th

Jun-12-07 : Another e-mail from CRIS stating card production ordered for EAD on June 12th?!

June 15-07 : E-mail saying that "Approval notice sent" for EAD

July-11-07 Interview, I-130 approved, AOS pending (name check)

Aug-14-07 E-mail from CRIS, notifying a welcoming notice was sent to the new perm. resident!!!

dunno about the touches before that

~~~ I-130 last touch Apr-16-07 ~~~

~~~ EAD touched Apr-17-07 ~~

~~~~EAD touched Jun-07-07

~~~~EAD touched Jun-12-07

~~~~EAD touched Jun-13-07

~~~~EAD last touch Jun-15-07

~~~ AOS last touch May-09-07 ~~

~~~ some more touches June 17 - 18

~~~ no touches after interview, and then touhed Aug 14 -15, when AOS was approved

Timeline

Thanks for the replies so far :)

No, you don't. You may want to, but you do not need to.

What exactly are you referring to?

Have you checked the law in the state where you plan to marry? Maybe it will be easier than you think. Or get married in a state where it is easy.

We're going to get married in Utah, and as conservative as Utah is I doubt they allow a man to change their name to their wife's without having to go through a lengthy court process. From what I remember there's only very few states that allow it, but I don't know where to look for :(

Timeline
My AOS/EAD are pending, and I applied with my maiden name, but I would love to change it before USCIS issues any of the cards. :help:

Yes that's my idea. On the other hand, since women usually apply with their new last name on AOS, couldn't I also just use my (soon to be) wife's last name in the AOS? Of course it wouldn't match with my name on my passport, but that's also the case for many women who apply for AOS...

All I could find is that if everything goes smoothly and I receive a GC, I could submit form I-90 (the fee is $260 and I will need another set of biometrics taken) to have the GC replaced with my new name.

That's what I'd like to avoid, $260 is a bunch of money for writing my name into a computer and ordering a cheap plastic card...

It's so sweet you're taking your fiancee's last name!!!!

Most people unfortunately (even here in Germany) think it's weird/not normal. But my fiancee is happy about it, although sometimes she thinks about taking my last name ;)

Timeline

So I guess nobody really knows if it's possible to use the new last name (as a man) on the AOS/EAD/AP application or if it's possible to change it while AOS is pending?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.