nikha

Middle Name Anomoly in DS11 Form

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hopefully I will get a chance to apply for US passport soon (couple of months). I say hopefully because, I am yet to take my citizenship interview.

By convention I go by my father's first name as my middle name on all official documents/places which ask for full name as it appears on the primary identifying document.  (Extra, un-required info) And of course my father's last name as my last name which is also our family name.

My dad spells his first name in his passport (which is a foreign passport) with a letter 'i' appearing in its spelling. E.g. Dennis (just an example). When my first passport was applied for,  that is almost around 30 years back in my home country using a travel agency, the agency rep misspelled my middle name (which is my father's first name) with two letters 'ee' in place of letter 'i' (like the way it is on my dad's passport). Going by the example that would be Dennees.

During next 2 passport renewal cycles for me, the info was retained as is. When I arrived to the US, foreign passport being primary and the most significant identifying document, I continued to spell my middle name with letters 'ee' in place of letter 'i'. I did this because docs which required this info said, please print your name as it appears on your primary identifying document.

If one has been following thus far, then one must have realized the problem by now...

1. Clearly there is discrepancy in the way my dad spells his first name on official docs vs the way it is spelled on my passport and in turn I am forced to spell on official docs.

2. I have been unsettle-ingly troubled with this fact for a long time now, although I know and I have more troubling/worrying things to take care of.

Coming to the point,

Now that I may/will (god willing/USCIS IO willing) get a chance to apply for another primary identifying document in this country will it be ok if

1. I spell my middle name correctly on DS11 form as the way my dad spells it on his passport and not the way it is printed on my passport/driver's license/Social Security card in the United States ?

2. If I do so, will it get rejected on the basis of full name not matching the way it appears on the then received Naturalization Cert and the accompanying Driver's License/SS Card ? I know for sure that people do put middle initial as middle name and it gets accepted very well

Any meaningful help/pointers will greatly appreciated. As usually nothing posted here is/will be treated as legal advice and no one other than me will be held responsible for rejection of the passport app should I choose to do the above against anyone's advice/posts

Please update your case Google Sheet Based Tracker for San Jose Field Office

Please update your passport tracking cases Google Sheet Based Tracker for Passport

Filed: Timeline

I wonder if the following applies to you?

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/correcting-your-name-when-obtaining-us-citizenship.html

If I'm not mistaken, it says that you can ask the IO during the interview either for a simple name correction and if not, a name change. Maybe it will be a simple name correction because it only involves your middle name and not your last name. No harm asking the IO during the interview.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 3/16/2019 at 1:14 PM, xyz12345 said:

I wonder if the following applies to you?

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/correcting-your-name-when-obtaining-us-citizenship.html

If I'm not mistaken, it says that you can ask the IO during the interview either for a simple name correction and if not, a name change. Maybe it will be a simple name correction because it only involves your middle name and not your last name. No harm asking the IO during the interview.

Good luck!

Thank you for your response  @xyz12345 For my field office, there is no judicial oath ceremonies anymore. So I will have to go through the court procedure to have my named corrected on my US passport once I receive it.

Please update your case Google Sheet Based Tracker for San Jose Field Office

Please update your passport tracking cases Google Sheet Based Tracker for Passport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.