Anna92

CALIFORNIA drivers license

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, Anna92 said:

Oke so this question has probably been asked a 100 times but I cant seem to find it!

K1 visa and moving to California. Im hearing mixed things. Can we get our drivers permit before our EAD? Anyone with experience?

Hi Anna,

I'm currently looking into this also and came across a bunch of threads on here with lots of useful information, so I’m surprised you haven’t found anything yet! Silly question, but did you use the search function? I just typed in “California drivers license”.

One post that I found really useful is linked below:

I hope this helps!

Stace 😊

7 hours ago, StaceF said:

Hi Anna,

I'm currently looking into this also and came across a bunch of threads on here with lots of useful information, so I’m surprised you haven’t found anything yet! Silly question, but did you use the search function? I just typed in “California drivers license”.

One post that I found really useful is linked below:

I hope this helps!

Stace 😊

Thank u!! I did but the answer is still not clear to me. An AB 60 is supposed to be for illegal or undocumented people, still figuring it out haha

Timeline
1 hour ago, Anna92 said:

Thank u!! I did but the answer is still not clear to me. An AB 60 is supposed to be for illegal or undocumented people, still figuring it out haha

It is definitely confusing!

I think for a K1 visa holder the AB60 appears to be the only solution other than wait for your green card and then apply. To apply for a full DL my understanding is that you need to prove permanent residency...which as K1 we can’t do yet. So although we are not illegal or undocumented we are also not yet permanent residents and so the AB60 covers us.

As I say this is just my understanding from what I have read on here and from what other people have posted as their experience in actually gaining the AB60, I could have misunderstood.

If you come across different information or somebody from DMV advises you otherwise please do let me know as I have an appointment at the DMV for the end of April to apply for the AB60 as want to be driving as soon as possible!

Thanks 

1 hour ago, StaceF said:

It is definitely confusing!

I think for a K1 visa holder the AB60 appears to be the only solution other than wait for your green card and then apply. To apply for a full DL my understanding is that you need to prove permanent residency...which as K1 we can’t do yet. So although we are not illegal or undocumented we are also not yet permanent residents and so the AB60 covers us.

As I say this is just my understanding from what I have read on here and from what other people have posted as their experience in actually gaining the AB60, I could have misunderstood.

If you come across different information or somebody from DMV advises you otherwise please do let me know as I have an appointment at the DMV for the end of April to apply for the AB60 as want to be driving as soon as possible!

Thanks 

What I do know is, that with an EAD you can get a permit, did you file for that?

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Anna92 said:

What I do know is, that with an EAD you can get a permit, did you file for that?

Not yet as I don’t arrive until Saturday and we aren’t getting married until early April...EAD also takes approx 6 months to receive and I don’t want to wait that long to be driving (will be around 7 months by that point!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

AB60 is the way to go.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.