Jgbell

New job in new city while AOS pending

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hey all! My wife came here on a K1 (I'm the USC) and we applied for AOS in November 2018. At the time we had *both* just moved from New Zealand (I was living there) so I was newly unemployed as I had left my job in NZ to relocate back to the US with her.

We explained the situation on my I864 and my mom was joint sponsor with plenty of sufficient income to meet criteria. No RFEs and our I485 application is "ready to be scheduled for an interview".

Obviously now since the application I've gotten a job, and we've moved from Las Vegas (where my family is) to Austin, TX for my work. We changed our address with USCIS.

I'm wondering: Do I need to submit a new I864 at this stage? We made it very clear on initial application I voluntarily left my job in NZ to relocate and we were temporarily staying with family while I applied for jobs. My mom submitted an I864 as joint sponsor with tax returns, employment details etc. No issues/RFEs.

I'm thinking maybe I just prepare a new I864 but don't submit - just something I can take with me when we eventually have our interview. What do y'all think?

2 minutes ago, Jgbell said:

Hey all! My wife came here on a K1 (I'm the USC) and we applied for AOS in November 2018. At the time we had *both* just moved from New Zealand (I was living there) so I was newly unemployed as I had left my job in NZ to relocate back to the US with her.

We explained the situation on my I864 and my mom was joint sponsor with plenty of sufficient income to meet criteria. No RFEs and our I485 application is "ready to be scheduled for an interview".

Obviously now since the application I've gotten a job, and we've moved from Las Vegas (where my family is) to Austin, TX for my work. We changed our address with USCIS.

I'm wondering: Do I need to submit a new I864 at this stage? We made it very clear on initial application I voluntarily left my job in NZ to relocate and we were temporarily staying with family while I applied for jobs. My mom submitted an I864 as joint sponsor with tax returns, employment details etc. No issues/RFEs.

I'm thinking maybe I just prepare a new I864 but don't submit - just something I can take with me when we eventually have our interview. What do y'all think?

Yes. Fill out a new I864 and obtain your own supporting financial docs as a sponsor (you) and a "co-sponsor" (the intending immigrant) in case at the interview they ask if your own financial situation changed. Likely you will still need to use your Joint Sponsor as they usually only consider and employment verification with 6 months of paystubs under your belt as stable income. But fill it out anyways.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
4 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Yes. Fill out a new I864 and obtain your own supporting financial docs as a sponsor (you) and a "co-sponsor" (the intending immigrant) in case at the interview they ask if your own financial situation changed. Likely you will still need to use your Joint Sponsor as they usually only consider and employment verification with 6 months of paystubs under your belt as stable income. But fill it out anyways.

Wonderful, thank you. I've only been in the job a month now, but by the time the interview rolls around I'm sure it could have been 6 months. But I'll prepare a new I864 when the time comes and we'll be good to go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.