Cultclassic92

AOS Interview Experiences

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

So, mine and my husband's AOS interview is this Monday and we are both nervous! I was wondering if people could share their experiences from interviews, wouldn't mind hearing some from recently as well as I understand the processes have changed over time. 

I just went to mine this past Tuesday. It was at the Atlanta field office. Got a nice officer. My interview was really straightforward with him asking me the following questions:

1. Basic biographic details
  2. Parents' names
  3. My phone number
  4. Current address
  5. My husband's date of birth
  6. How we met
  7. Where we met
  8. General relationship timeline
  9. Full list of the criminal background questions (the same ones on the form where you had to check yes, no, N/A and/or explain)

I frontloaded when I filed my AOS and he said it seemed like everything is in order. I brought more updated supporting documents and I submitted the more recent joint account statements, auto-insurance with both our names, health insurance mailer with both our cards, my husband's work benefits enrollment confirmation that has my name on it, beneficiary listing for his 401k, new letter of employer, 2018 joint 1040, husband's W-2, Costco renewal notices, 10 photos with family members and some with just us. The officer asked me what's going on in each photo and I told him who's in them and where the photos were taken. 

However, he gave me the paper that says a decision cannot be made immediately and further review was required. He did say that is he issues that document to  all applicants that are assigned to him because he likes to re-review everything before he gives the final approval. He then walked us out to the photocopier to make a copy of our IDs, shook hands and we were on our way out.

My status updates have been kinda erratic. Started with card in production on the very next day and then later that day, it said my case was reopened. And when I looked at https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ today, apparently there was an approval status on 2/28 and then it went back to case reopened. I cannot tell you if I was approved or not for real but I sure hope so. I could answer all questions and he didn't seem to doubt our relationship. 

Here's what to expect on the day of your interview at the Atlanta field office:

• Arrive 30 minutes PRIOR to your interview time.
  • Go through entrance security.
  • Go to the reception with your ID and interview notice to check in. You will receive a number ticket.
  • Proceed to the Second Floor. Sit towards the front where there are two TVs because that's where your number ticket would show up telling you which Door to go to when it is your turn. Keep your eyes glued to the screen because they don't use a PA system. Door 1 is where the elevator is. Door 2 is at the front of the room. Go to your Door and your officer will come out announcing the number and if it is yours, you go with the officer.
  • Once you are in the office, you will have to raise your hand and take an oath to tell the truth.
  • Officer will ask for your ID and index fingerprints.
  • Once biometrics is confirmed, interview will begin.
Edited by KULtoATL

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Fingers crossed for you and hoping you receive an approval! Would love to hear the outcome when you find out a definite outcome. :) Thanks for the information on what to expect when there.

Just now, Cultclassic92 said:

Fingers crossed for you and hoping you receive an approval! Would love to hear the outcome when you find out a definite outcome. :) Thanks for the information on what to expect when there.

Thank you and not a problem :) I forgot one thing. When we were inside the office, the officer use a webcam to take my mugshot. I think that was right after fingerprinting me.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.