Jump to content

Basic Certificate question

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello, everyone.  I've never posted here before and I haven't found an answer yet.  My wife is from Korea and I submitted her Adjustment of Status recently.  We have our appointment for her biometrics at our local USCIS office but today we received a request for initial evidence for her I-485.  We submitted her Basic Certificate (General) but not her Family Relation Certificate (General).  However the notice says that they need her Basic Certificate (Detailed) AND her Family Relation Certificate (Detailed) because the certificate I sent was considered secondary and therefore insufficient.  The Basic Certificate I sent was a copy in Korea along with an English copy that the office they were obtained from provided (it did not have a certification of true and correct translation, by the way).  So my question is, is there an actual distinction between the "General" and "Detailed" Basic Certificates? Of course the letter doesn't specify that the "general" certificate is insufficient and I am unsure where to turn to aside from a lawyer.  My first thought was to just send the Family Relation Certificate (General) that I should have included in the first place but now I think that may not be sufficient.  I thought things were going along fine without a hitch but then my heart sank when I saw this request for evidence notice.  I appreciate any help this community can provide!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/SouthKorea.html


The Basic Certificate (Detailed) "Gibon Jeungmyongseo (Sang Sae)" and Family Relation Certificate (Detailed) "Gajok Kwankye Jeungmyongseo (Sang Sae)" must both be submitted.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

My reply will not be very helpful, so I apologize in advance. But my wife is also from South Korea and neither she nor I are aware of any difference between "general" and "detailed". My wife only ever had one Family Relation Certificate and one Basic Certificate, which I guess are both "detailed".


And if I may ask - in our situation, my wife has her Family Relation Certificate (Detailed), but not her Basic Certificate. Did USCIS accept your I-485 for adjustment of status, even without initially submitting your wife's Family Relation Certificate? We don't know how soon we will be able to obtain my wife's Basic Certificate and we'd prefer not to delay applying for adjustment of status any longer, if we didn't have to. If USCIS will accept the application even without my wife's Basic Certificate, we'd be willing to apply now and attempt to get the Basic Certificate while waiting for their request for evidence. Best of luck to you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.