3 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone.  I've never posted here before and I haven't found an answer yet.  My wife is from Korea and I submitted her Adjustment of Status recently.  We have our appointment for her biometrics at our local USCIS office but today we received a request for initial evidence for her I-485.  We submitted her Basic Certificate (General) but not her Family Relation Certificate (General).  However the notice says that they need her Basic Certificate (Detailed) AND her Family Relation Certificate (Detailed) because the certificate I sent was considered secondary and therefore insufficient.  The Basic Certificate I sent was a copy in Korea along with an English copy that the office they were obtained from provided (it did not have a certification of true and correct translation, by the way).  So my question is, is there an actual distinction between the "General" and "Detailed" Basic Certificates? Of course the letter doesn't specify that the "general" certificate is insufficient and I am unsure where to turn to aside from a lawyer.  My first thought was to just send the Family Relation Certificate (General) that I should have included in the first place but now I think that may not be sufficient.  I thought things were going along fine without a hitch but then my heart sank when I saw this request for evidence notice.  I appreciate any help this community can provide!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

According to: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/SouthKorea.html

The Basic Certificate (Detailed) "Gibon Jeungmyongseo (Sang Sae)" and Family Relation Certificate (Detailed) "Gajok Kwankye Jeungmyongseo (Sang Sae)" must both be submitted.

• 3 weeks later...

My reply will not be very helpful, so I apologize in advance. But my wife is also from South Korea and neither she nor I are aware of any difference between "general" and "detailed". My wife only ever had one Family Relation Certificate and one Basic Certificate, which I guess are both "detailed".

And if I may ask - in our situation, my wife has her Family Relation Certificate (Detailed), but not her Basic Certificate. Did USCIS accept your I-485 for adjustment of status, even without initially submitting your wife's Family Relation Certificate? We don't know how soon we will be able to obtain my wife's Basic Certificate and we'd prefer not to delay applying for adjustment of status any longer, if we didn't have to. If USCIS will accept the application even without my wife's Basic Certificate, we'd be willing to apply now and attempt to get the Basic Certificate while waiting for their request for evidence. Best of luck to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.