UsherBhai

Visa Process, in detail.

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,,

In writing all of this, I hope I can help those also trying to get the K-1 Fiance Visa.

Petition Prep We started gathering and prepping items for the visa Late July 2013. I cannot stress enough, PROVIDE MORE EVIDENCE THEN ASKED FOR. Be thorough and neat when gathering the evidence.

Required for evidence part of the petition Please check off with VisaJourney.com, USCIS, Travelstate.gov, etc to make sure you have everything.

-Be DETAILED for the Declaration of how you met....Seriously overkill detailed and go over it with your partner to make sure it's all there.

-Colored Copies of both passports: You're personal ID page and Stamps showing entry to a country -Colored Copies of boarding passes, event tickets with dates, flight confirmations, and other proof supporting picture evidence. -Give 1-2 more pictures than what was asked of you both together over a span of time (Printed out photos professional, be detailed of time and location on back of each picture) -Screenshot FaceTime Calls, Skype Calls and Convos, Facebook Messenger, Facebook posts, Facebook Statuses...Make sure they're not all in the same month. Show one for April, May, June, October, December, February, etc...you get my point :) -Picture of the engagement ring and the receipt (one is not required, but I do highly suggest it)

This is what I added for additional evidence of our relationship -Timeline of our relationship with Pictures. It ended up being 20 pages long. It showed how we met, major points in our relationship as it progressed, with pictures to help support those events as well. I had that timeline ending to the point in time where we were prepping for the visa. -I asked my fiancé's father to write a letter about our relationship, had him sign and date it.

I was lucky enough to be in the UK while putting this petition together with my fiancé, and that made it much easier to put it together. MAKE TWO COPIES OF THE PETITION, one to be submitted to the USCIS and one for the foreign fiancé (Give them the original evidence meaning boarding passes, tickets, etc) Before you mail your petition off, make sure it's in order according to the contents list and it will be easy to look through for the USCIS agent(s) having to analyze your petition. THIS IS WHERE YOU REALLY SHOW THE GOVT IF YOU REALLY DO LOVE EACH OTHER, AND ARE SERIOUS.

In my experience, it does matter what country your fiancé is from when it comes to petition process times (even NVC and embassy process times) My fiancé and I found out our petition was approved in late October 2013.

Once the petition is approved Start gathering all required documents for the interview at the embassy. You really have to be on top of your employer for when it comes to gathering verification of employment letter, gather the most recent pay stubs (you'll need 3-4) for the Affidavit of Support I-134. You have to make 125% above the poverty level...i believe it is still $17,500 a year. If you feel that you barely are above that, have one of your parents, family member, friend be a cosponsor and have them do an Affidavit of Support as well. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. DON'T GIVE THEM AN EXCUSE TO QUESTION YOUR COMMITMENT TO EACH OTHER. Also, gather more current evidence of the relationship...so back to the FaceTime, Skype, and Facebook evidence gathering. I even included a picture of the wedding dress I put a down payment on and the amount, I even did secure screen capture of my bank account showing that payment. Basically what I was saying, WHY THE HELL WOULD I BE DROPPING $595 FOR A DEPOSIT ON A WEDDING DRESS IF I DIDN'T WANT TO MARRY HIM!! Again, provide more evidence than asked for. All copies of government letters for your partner. Once all the stuff on your end is complete. Send it to your foreign fiancé, and have them put it away securely. We had a K-1 Fiance Visa Binder. Everything we did was there. ALSO, if you can send more evidence along the way especially if it's 1-2 months before the actual Interview. If you received a promotion at work like I ahead. Update your Affidavit of Support. They want the most current.

What the foreign fiancé has to do to prep for the Interview Again double check on those websites to make sure everything was accomplished. -DS-160 Form, to be completed online -Police Certificate (I think this form needs to be signed by a manager, police officer, etc as well) -Medical Exam through an embassy approved physician. Check the embassy's website to find one, they should be in the same city as the Embassy. This will cost a lot. I believe, I can't really remember, my fiancé paid between 240-350 pounds (When converted, the price in dollars goes up) THIS IS APPARENTLY WHERE WE MESSED UP...Because we couldn't find this step ANYWHERE on those website...it really pissed me off since this was preventing the scheduling of the interview* So please, please get this done ONCE ALL THE EVIDENCE FOR THE INTERVIEW IS COLLECTED.....

Fill out the "Interview Readiness Form on the embassy's website" It tells of the date of the wedding (when you want it to happen) etc... After we filled that out, we found out in 1-2 weeks of when his interview was...and it was scheduled for the week after he received the interview date. I sent out a 1-3 day delivery of final documents proving our relationship in Feb-late April...Pictures of flowers he sent me (posted on FB, I highlighted how many people liked it, the date, etc), His personal birthday post to me on FB, etc...

THE INTERVIEW!!!!! Pay the courier fee before the interview...This is how the passport is returned, along with the visa delivery (which is in the passport) -No backpacks -No Cell Phones/Mobiles -No Car Key Fobs The foreign fiancé should arrive outside the embassy at least a half hour before the scheduled appointment. My fiancé said there was a huge line outside the embassy in London to get in. He had the whole interview binder. 1 part securely in the binder was the petition and in a folder to hand in was the documentation, to be turned in for the visa. They have to present the letter from the embassy telling them of the interview time and date. Go through security checkpoint(s)...get your number... Be prepared to wait around for 2-3+ hours...sorry 1st time they call your number...fingerprints taken and they take some stuff from you...I think it's the affidavit of support and passport...i think...Not quite sure. 2nd time they call your number....you will meet someone who has your case file in front of them. They will ask you about 5 questions. Our questions were as followed (the ones my fiancé told me)

How did you meet?

What's your fiancé's full name?

How often do you speak to each other? The other 2 questions he did not tell me or remember....he said he was tired, and he (to be honest) is lazy when it comes to details...#######...That aspect of him did not help with the visa process. The woman who interviewed us said she was moving our application to approval and she approved it. She stamped it, and we were good to go, and we should receive the passport in the mail in 5-10 business days. We received it in 7 business days and that he has to leave for the us by July 13, 2014 (Our interview was May 8, 2014).

From what I learned from others, if you know you provided detailed and sufficient evidence, your partner has not committed a crime, passed the medical exam, and the person at the embassy told you it was approved...Then more than likely...90% sure you go the visa!! CONGRATS!!! It's about damn time! However, if you get a form or hesitant remarks, or an uncertain reply from the interviewer...your application might have to go through more processing....this can be 1-6 more months of waiting...I'm so sorry if this happens.

Once you receive the passport in the mail DO NOT OPEN THE PACKET WHICH IS GIVEN ALONG WITH THE LETTER AND PASSPORT. The port of entry alone is to open that packet!!! Once you have the visa, you have to leave for the US by a certain time. I think it's about 2 months.

Call the NVC for help and/or questions along the way. It's best to call early in the morning or late in the evening to talk to a representative ASAP. If someone is rude. GET THEIR NAME!!!! And report their ###! There are kind people that work there, that want to help you. So please don't be difficult person like that rep and give their name to the person who sincerely wants to help you. Insert witty metaphor here

Also, you can do what I did...contact a senator's office for help. This will help to expedite the process if you're having issues. You're paying them with your tax dollars, put them to work. The lady helping us was very kind, in the end I found out/heard from the embassy before she did. However I think the embassy seeing, a Senator's name getting involved shows you're serious. If you have it in your budget to get a lawyer than do it. They will help waive through the bull and will help with paperwork...HOWEVER....you can do this alone...Be detailed, diligent, prompt, etc...

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to message me. This can be extremely strenuous and it will test your relationship. I will be more than happy to help. Sorry this was so damn long.

Edited by TBoneTX
profanity edited

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.