morpheus1234

Naturalization and (cosmetic) Name change in CA - what is the best course of action?

4 posts in this topic

I will be able to apply for naturalization soon and I'd like to have my name changed on the naturalization certificate (cosmetic name change of both my first and last names).

I live in Cupertino, CA. I've read countless posts about the subject and still have a few questions:

I understand that I'll need to go through court to have my name changed because in CA a judge is not present at the oath ceremonies.

1. Would it be safer/better to do the name change through the court before sending my N400 and starting the naturalization process? All the posts that I read talk about first starting the naturalization process and requesting for the name change on N400 and then doing the name change through the court. I can't seem to understand the benefit of that over doing the name change first. Which one is a safer bet? Is there a way to have the name change court fee waved?

2. How do I figure out which court I need to file the name change petition? I know there is a court in San Jose and in Santa Clara.

Thank you so much! 😊

11 hours ago, morpheus1234 said:

I will be able to apply for naturalization soon and I'd like to have my name changed on the naturalization certificate (cosmetic name change of both my first and last names).

I live in Cupertino, CA. I've read countless posts about the subject and still have a few questions:

I understand that I'll need to go through court to have my name changed because in CA a judge is not present at the oath ceremonies.

1. Would it be safer/better to do the name change through the court before sending my N400 and starting the naturalization process? All the posts that I read talk about first starting the naturalization process and requesting for the name change on N400 and then doing the name change through the court. I can't seem to understand the benefit of that over doing the name change first. Which one is a safer bet? Is there a way to have the name change court fee waved?

2. How do I figure out which court I need to file the name change petition? I know there is a court in San Jose and in Santa Clara.

Thank you so much! 😊

Why not changed it tho application for free if you do it before on court  its will cost you a lot of money and time ... plus n-400 is free and i did changed my name too on N400 Application , I ask officer if its will delay my application . he said no its will not and its free and you will see it judge has to come some times for oath ceremonies if there is names change application , So My Advice that changed on N400 , I am waiting for oath ceremonies letter now . 

check the link please for more information on name change 

Edited by bestluck

7 hours ago, bestluck said:

Why not changed it tho application for free if you do it before on court  its will cost you a lot of money and time ... plus n-400 is free and i did changed my name too on N400 Application , I ask officer if its will delay my application . he said no its will not and its free and you will see it judge has to come some times for oath ceremonies if there is names change application , So My Advice that changed on N400 , I am waiting for oath ceremonies letter now . 

check the link please for more information on name change 

Thank you for your reply.

Are you from California? If so, was your name change based on marriage (taking your husband's last name?)

As I mentioned in my question, from reading lots of other posts, California stopped doing judicial ceremonies many years ago and does only administrative ones. Therefore, in California, unless your name change is based on marriage it won't go through if you only mention it in the N400, you will need to go through the court to get a court decree.

My question is regarding the best/safest/cheapest sequence of operations. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
21 hours ago, morpheus1234 said:

Thank you so much! 😊

The  difference between changing your name before and after naturalization is the name on your naturalization paper. If you change your name before, then your new name will be on your naturalization paper. You can apply for your passport and update your name on your SS Card with your naturalization certificate. But if you change your name after naturalization, you will either apply for a replacement of the naturalization certificate with $555 or keep both of the court order of name change and the naturalization paper with the old name as proof of your name change for the rest of your life.  But if your change your name before naturalization, you will still have to consider updating your new name on your current passport if you need to travel internationally.  

I'm not living in CA, so I'm not sure about the name change in California. Here's the website you probably could seek info : http://www.scscourt.org/self_help/probate/namechange/namechange.shtml

Here's for fee waiver: https://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-feewaiver.htm

Hope it helps.

Good Luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.