Frank227

HELP! Wrong information on foreign documents

10 posts in this topic

I am both an American and Iraqi citizen. I married an Iraqi woman. When I married my wife I used my Iraqi documents in the court. My marriage certificate along with my other Iraqi documents all have slightly different information than my American documents (when the Iraqi authorities issued the documents they made mistakes). I am thinking about applying for an IR1 but I don't know what to do exactly because of the discrepancies. Do I need to go to the Iraqi courts and change all of this information so that it is exactly the same as my American documents (I suppose that is going to be quite difficult though, plus I would then have to get my marriage certificate re-issued so that is another step as well) or is there any other way of sorting this out? Would it still be possible to get an IR1 accepted with such discrepancies? I know this is probably one of the more difficult and complex questions asked on this board but does anyone have a clue on what I should do? I really need your help. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Frank227 said:

I am both an American and Iraqi citizen. I married an Iraqi woman. When I married my wife I used my Iraqi documents in the court. My marriage certificate along with my other Iraqi documents all have slightly different information than my American documents (when the Iraqi authorities issued the documents they made mistakes). I am thinking about applying for an IR1 but I don't know what to do exactly because of the discrepancies. Do I need to go to the Iraqi courts and change all of this information so that it is exactly the same as my American documents (I suppose that is going to be quite difficult though, plus I would then have to get my marriage certificate re-issued so that is another step as well) or is there any other way of sorting this out? Would it still be possible to get an IR1 accepted with such discrepancies? I know this is probably one of the more difficult and complex questions asked on this board but does anyone have a clue on what I should do? I really need your help. 

It depends on the nature and extent of the "mistakes" or "discrepancies".  Please elaborate with the details, without disclosing your actual name or details.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

4 hours ago, pushbrk said:

It depends on the nature and extent of the "mistakes" or "discrepancies".  Please elaborate with the details, without disclosing your actual name or details.

First of all the documents have my date of birth wrong, the month and year are correct but the day is a few days off. Unfortunately, they also have my place of birth wrong, they have put Iraq as my place of birth. My name is also a bit different. What an obstacle right? I wish i'd have just married with my American documents but what's gone is gone. Any idea on how I can begin to solve this matter?

Timeline
11 hours ago, Frank227 said:

First of all the documents have my date of birth wrong, the month and year are correct but the day is a few days off. Unfortunately, they also have my place of birth wrong, they have put Iraq as my place of birth. My name is also a bit different. What an obstacle right? I wish i'd have just married with my American documents but what's gone is gone. Any idea on how I can begin to solve this matter?

We first have to determine just how big a matter it is or is going to be.  Without actual information, that's impossible.  Where WERE you born?  Just HOW incorrect is "a bit different"?  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

16 hours ago, pushbrk said:

We first have to determine just how big a matter it is or is going to be.  Without actual information, that's impossible.  Where WERE you born?  Just HOW incorrect is "a bit different"?  

I was born in the USA, I don't know why they just didn't put that on my Iraqi documents as I had put in my application. My name is for the most part the same, however let me give an example of what I mean by "a bit different". Say a person in the Unites States is named Francis Michael Coleman and then their Iraqi document says their name is Frank Michel Cole. So, that's what I mean by a "bit" different. It's like a spelling mistake on their part, irresponsibility and carelessness. When I got the documents back initially I wanted to change all of this and make them re-do it but I was told it is a long drawn out process and I really didn't have the time to go through it. I appreciate your help. I hope I provided enough insight into the matter. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Frank227 said:

I was born in the USA, I don't know why they just didn't put that on my Iraqi documents as I had put in my application. My name is for the most part the same, however let me give an example of what I mean by "a bit different". Say a person in the Unites States is named Francis Michael Coleman and then their Iraqi document says their name is Frank Michel Cole. So, that's what I mean by a "bit" different. It's like a spelling mistake on their part, irresponsibility and carelessness. When I got the documents back initially I wanted to change all of this and make them re-do it but I was told it is a long drawn out process and I really didn't have the time to go through it. I appreciate your help. I hope I provided enough insight into the matter. 

It's a big mess.  If you don't clean it up, expect significant problems.  A lot of the information you provide in and with the petition is provided in order to verify you are who you say you are and she is who she says she is.  Yes, you would have been far wiser to use your current identification documents than ones that are out of date, AND to insist that the Iraqi government workers did their jobs accurately.  Hindsight...

Google Who is Pushbrk?

3 hours ago, pushbrk said:

It's a big mess.  If you don't clean it up, expect significant problems.  A lot of the information you provide in and with the petition is provided in order to verify you are who you say you are and she is who she says she is.  Yes, you would have been far wiser to use your current identification documents than ones that are out of date, AND to insist that the Iraqi government workers did their jobs accurately.  Hindsight...

Thanks I will begin by correcting my Iraqi documents so that it matches my American documents. I appreciate your help. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 1:42 AM, pushbrk said:

Hello sir. I talked to a lawyer in Iraq and he said all of the wrong criteria can be changed on my Iraqi documents but he is not sure if they can add my surname. In the USA as you know we have our first, middle, and family name or rather surname. In Iraq we have our first name, middle name being our fathers name, and last name being our grandfathers name. Now, on my American documents my first name and middle name is what it is on my Iraqi documents not considering a minor spelling error or two which can be changed. However, my last name on my American documents is my family name and the last name on my Iraqi documents is my grandfathers name. Will the US require that I have the same exact surname on my Iraqi documents? 

P.S. I'm sorry to bother you about such a complicated matter but I don't really know where else to go with this. 

Timeline
15 hours ago, Frank227 said:

Hello sir. I talked to a lawyer in Iraq and he said all of the wrong criteria can be changed on my Iraqi documents but he is not sure if they can add my surname. In the USA as you know we have our first, middle, and family name or rather surname. In Iraq we have our first name, middle name being our fathers name, and last name being our grandfathers name. Now, on my American documents my first name and middle name is what it is on my Iraqi documents not considering a minor spelling error or two which can be changed. However, my last name on my American documents is my family name and the last name on my Iraqi documents is my grandfathers name. Will the US require that I have the same exact surname on my Iraqi documents? 

P.S. I'm sorry to bother you about such a complicated matter but I don't really know where else to go with this. 

They know the naming traditions in Iraq.  Just make them correct by Iraqi standards.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.