Blackbrookroad

Did we file for a K1 at the wrong time?

3 posts in this topic

I visited my fiancee (when he was just my friend) on 19th May 2018. I stayed on a visa waiver until 12th August 2018. I tried going back at the end of September 2018 but was refused entry. We didn't really know where our relationship was going at that point. He stayed with me for a month after I was refused entry.

He proposed to me on 21st November 2018. We filed for the K1 visa end of December 2018.

A little more background:

I applied for a B2 visa after I returns from the U.S. but changed my mind and didn't go for an interview.

Does this timeframe look as if our relationship might not be bona-fide?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Requirements to file a K-1 petition are

• 1 person is a US citizen and 1 is not (check)
  • You've met in-person at least once in the last two years (check)
  • You're both free to marry each other (presumably check; if either of you were previously married, the divorce needs to have been finalized before you filed)
  • You are not married to each other (check)
  • You intend to marry each other (check)

So you're probably fine. You've got more in-person time together than a lot of us by what you've said, and a lot of us filed less than a year after our first in-person meeting. If you were going through an embassy/consulate in a high-fraud country you might have something to worry about in terms of time together, but I'm presuming (despite the lack of a timeline or a country flag on your profile) than since you were able to use the visa waiver program at some point then you aren't.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.