agb101

N-400 Application Supporting Documentation?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Sorry if this is a repeat. I couldn't find a thread on it. My wife and I are completing a citizenship application for her based on her marriage to me (born US citizen).

Some background...

*Married August 2014

*Submitted Initial GC in September 2014

*Received 2 Year GC in March 2015

*Submitted 10 Year GC in January 2017

*Received 10 Year GC in July 2018

So, it is based on the 3 year marriage requirement. In addition to what is required (passports, green cards, tax returns, etc.), what additional supporting documentation did you submit? Bills? Insurance? Etc.? How many months worth?

Thanks so much in advance!

2 hours ago, agb101 said:

Sorry if this is a repeat. I couldn't find a thread on it. My wife and I are completing a citizenship application for her based on her marriage to me (born US citizen).

Some background...

*Married August 2014

*Submitted Initial GC in September 2014

*Received 2 Year GC in March 2015

*Submitted 10 Year GC in January 2017

*Received 10 Year GC in July 2018

So, it is based on the 3 year marriage requirement. In addition to what is required (passports, green cards, tax returns, etc.), what additional supporting documentation did you submit? Bills? Insurance? Etc.? How many months worth?

Thanks so much in advance!

Pulled this form the USCIS website:

Documents to bring to your naturalization interview:

• Your Green Card (formally known as Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card)
  • A photocopy of the front and back of your Green Card
  • Your driver’s license or state-issued identification card
  • All current and expired passports or travel documents  
  • Copies of your tax returns for the past five years (or three years if you are married to a U.S. citizen)
Depending on your individual case, you may need to submit other items with your application. If you don’t submit additional items that are requested when you file, your application could be delayed. These other items may include:
  • A completed, original Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative, if you have new representation or if the Form G-28 has not previously been submitted
  • A copy of your marriage certificate
  • A copy of your divorce or annulment certificate
  • A copy of the death certificate for your former spouse
  • Proof of your spouse’s U.S. citizenship
  • Proof of your Selective Service registration (this evidence is required for all men between the ages of 18 and 31—you can get information about your registration here)  
  • A copy of the court decree legally changing your name
  • Original, certified copies of court dispositions for all arrests and detentions (including expunged records and plea bargains)
  • An original, official statement by the arresting agency or applicant court confirming that no charges were filed
  • Original, certified copies of all probation and parole records
  • Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program
  • A completed, original Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service
  • Evidence that you continued to pay rent or a mortgage (if you have taken a trip outside the U.S. for six months or longer)
  • A copy of any court order requiring you to pay spousal or child support
  • Evidence that you have complied with a court order requiring you to pay spousal or child support (for example cancelled checks, receipts, court or agency printouts, evidence of wage garnishments, or a letter from the parent or guardian of the child(ren)
  • All correspondence with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regarding your failure to file taxes
  • A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe
  • Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program
  • An original Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, completed less than six months ago by a licensed medical or osteopathic doctor or licensed clinical psychologist

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.