7 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello to everyone. I just got my Naturalization, Jan 2019, my question is, i filed f2b for my unmarried daughter, i am a permanent residence when i filed their application. Now that i am a USC, how can i change or update their application from unmarried child of a permanent resident to a unmarried child of a US citizen? Do you think if i change it, the timeframe for my petition will moved faster? Thanks for all the response in advance

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

What's your daughter's Priority Date?

What country?

Has USCIS approved the I-130 and forwarded it to the NVC?

Generally, the F1 category is slightly faster than the F2a. You can notify the agency that has the case to upgrade it by submitting a copy of your Naturalization Certificate or US passport with the case information.  Under the CSPA, you could also leave the case alone and retain the F2a category.  You get to pick.  So, it may be better to wait to upgrade to the F1 category or retain the F2a category based on whichever is faster.  I would recommend waiting to make this decision when your daughter's PD is close to becoming current in one of the category.  The reason for this is that the categories move at different paces and sometimes F1 is faster than F2a and sometimes F2a is faster than F1.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you, Aaron2020, my daughter priority date is, may 8, 2015, shes under, f2b category, a child of legal permanent resident over 18 years old, and she’s from Philippines.

Timeline

In the Feb. 2019 Visa Bulletin, the current PD for F1 (PI) is March 15, 2007 and the current PD for F2a (PI) is July 1, 2007.  So, F2a is faster than F1 by 3.5 months.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2019/visa-bulletin-for-february-2019.html

When you filed in May 2015, the opposite was true.  Then, the F1 was faster than the F2a.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/family-preference-cut-off-dates/Cut-off_Dates_Philippines_online_FY18.pdf

So, it's going to be probably around another 8 years before your daughter can immigrate in either category.  This is why it is best to wait to upgrade to the F1 or request to retain the F2b when your daughter's PD is about to be current in one of those two categories since you don't know which will be faster in 8 years.

F2b is for an LPR to petition for an unmarried child over age 21.  (Not over 18).

You will not get an update for at least another 8 years, so there is nothing to do but wait.  

Please make sure that your daughter does not get marry until she has a green card.  Marriage will disqualify her.  

Best of luck.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

In the Feb. 2019 Visa Bulletin, the current PD for F1 (PI) is March 15, 2007 and the current PD for F2b (PI) is July 1, 2007.  So, F2b is faster than F1 by 3.5 months.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2019/visa-bulletin-for-february-2019.html

When you filed in May 2015, the opposite was true.  Then, the F1 was faster than the F2b.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/family-preference-cut-off-dates/Cut-off_Dates_Philippines_online_FY18.pdf

So, it's going to be probably around another 8 years before your daughter can immigrate in either category.  This is why it is best to wait to upgrade to the F1 or request to retain the F2b when your daughter's PD is about to be current in one of those two categories since you don't know which will be faster in 8 years.

F2b is for an LPR to petition for an unmarried child over age 21.  (Not over 18).

You will not get an update for at least another 8 years, so there is nothing to do but wait.  

Please make sure that your daughter does not get marry until she has a green card.  Marriage will disqualify her.  

Best of luck.

Made corrections.

Edited by aaron2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.