DIV

HELP for visa guidance

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I am currently on F1 OPT and in US. My husband is in L1A individual and hasnt travelled to US yet. He got L2 dependent for our kid. 

Due to personal reasons he cannot travel for another year. 

My question is if I am bringing my kid in Tourist visa to US, will his L2 dependent visa get automatically rejected? 

If it is rejected, after a year when my husband travels to US, is it possible to get him converted into L2 again? Pls help. Really appreciate your answers. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
13 minutes ago, DIV said:

Hi, I am currently on F1 OPT and in US. My husband is in L1A individual and hasnt travelled to US yet. He got L2 dependent for our kid. 

Due to personal reasons he cannot travel for another year. 

My question is if I am bringing my kid in Tourist visa to US, will his L2 dependent visa get automatically rejected? 

If it is rejected, after a year when my husband travels to US, is it possible to get him converted into L2 again? Pls help. Really appreciate your answers. 

Your husband must enter on his L1 first before your son can enter on an L2.

Your son can not enter on a tourist visa to live in the US.  

If you want your son to come live with you in the US, then he will need an F2 visa.

1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

Your husband must enter on his L1 first before your son can enter on an L2.

Your son can not enter on a tourist visa to live in the US.  

If you want your son to come live with you in the US, then he will need an F2 visa.

Yes. I understand that. But say I want my son to stay with me just for 4/5 months and then go back to India, isn't tourist visa a valid option? 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, DIV said:

Yes. I understand that. But say I want my son to stay with me just for 4/5 months and then go back to India, isn't tourist visa a valid option? 

A tourist visa is for that purpose - tourism.  It's not for living with you for 4/5 months.  Does he already have a tourist visa?

How old is he?

Edited by aaron2020

A tourist visa is for that purpose - tourism.  It's not for living with you for 4/5 months.  Does he already have a tourist visa?

How old is he?

No He doesn't have a tourist visa yet. He is 2 yrs old. I didn't want to get him on F2 because then I would have to travel back to get his visa stamped. 

Instead, for on a B2 - I thought he could stay with me for 4 months or so and leave. So are you suggesting me that it's bad? 

I thought a B2 also means visitor visa - where you can visit your family members for shorter duration?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, DIV said:

No He doesn't have a tourist visa yet. He is 2 yrs old. I didn't want to get him on F2 because then I would have to travel back to get his visa stamped. 

Instead, for on a B2 - I thought he could stay with me for 4 months or so and leave. So are you suggesting me that it's bad? 

I thought a B2 also means visitor visa - where you can visit your family members for shorter duration?

I am not suggesting to you that it's bad.  You want the child to come live with you, then you have to get the proper visa.  He is not coming for tourism.  He is coming to live with you.

With an F1 student visa mom and an L1 dad, he is unlikely to get a tourist visa.  

The F2 is the proper visa.  

I am not suggesting to you that it's bad.  You want the child to come live with you, then you have to get the proper visa.  He is not coming for tourism.  He is coming to live with you.

With an F1 student visa mom and an L1 dad, he is unlikely to get a tourist visa.  

The F2 is the proper visa.  

Got it! Thank you so much! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.