Jump to content
gymaddict18

N-400 interview documents checklist

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, 

 

I have a question for those of you who already went through their naturalization interview based on the 5 years residency rule. What are the documents that you took to the interview and what are the documents that you were asked for at the day of your interview? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours was 3 year marriage rule but:

 

Photo attached of snippet from my husband's interview letter:

image.png.708d232ab21aba0d78d2481629b10f69.png

 

As far as what he actually brought, since with these things I'm OCD about:

  • The letter
  • Greencard
  • Passport
  • Selective Service printout showing not eligible since over 31:  https://www.sss.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=0Ky-rgZai_Y%3d&portalid=0   Hope that link works.  If not, click here: https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Status-Information-Letter and then scroll down to "

    If asked for a "status information letter," these men may print a form letter concerning their request for a letter for use with USCIS" and click link

  • Our marriage certificate (original certified )
  • Proof of my former divorce (certified copy)
  • My birth certificate (original certified)
  • Not asked for but also brought:
    • Full printout of application
    • Printout of all documents uploaded to our case file since we submitted online.  Note that while we uploaded our tax transcripts as part of the application, the immigration officer asked for them as they weren't in her file. Bring everything you already submitted as precaution IMO.
    • Original traffic citation (copy had been uploaded) and proof of court fees/fines payment
  • 1 page printout of list of mistakes/typos made in his application that needed to be fixed during the interview

What he was actually asked to present:

  • Letter, GC Passport, marriage certificate, my birth certificate, tax transcripts.   
  • I was also asked to present my drivers license after the fact when the IO was leading him back into the waiting room to get me.  
  • That 1 page doc showing all the mistakes to be corrected

 

Edited by mtempelaar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

Ours was 3 year marriage rule but:

 

Photo attached of snippet from my husband's interview letter:

image.png.708d232ab21aba0d78d2481629b10f69.png

 

As far as what he actually brought, since with these things I'm OCD about:

  • The letter
  • Greencard
  • Passport
  • Selective Service printout showing not eligible since over 31:  https://www.sss.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=0Ky-rgZai_Y%3d&portalid=0   Hope that link works.  If not, click here: https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Status-Information-Letter and then scroll down to "

    If asked for a "status information letter," these men may print a form letter concerning their request for a letter for use with USCIS" and click link

  • Our marriage certificate (original certified )
  • Proof of my former divorce (certified copy)
  • My birth certificate (original certified)
  • Not asked for but also brought:
    • Full printout of application
    • Printout of all documents uploaded to our case file since we submitted online.  Note that while we uploaded our tax transcripts as part of the application, the immigration officer asked for them as they weren't in her file. Bring everything you already submitted as precaution IMO.
    • Original traffic citation (copy had been uploaded) and proof of court fees/fines payment
  • 1 page printout of list of mistakes/typos made in his application that needed to be fixed during the interview

What he was actually asked to present:

  • Letter, GC Passport, marriage certificate, my birth certificate, tax transcripts.   
  • I was also asked to present my drivers license after the fact when the IO was leading him back into the waiting room to get me.  
  • That 1 page doc showing all the mistakes to be corrected

 

I have interview next month and did IO approved your application how was your interview what question officer ask you please ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
Quote
9 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

Ours was 3 year marriage rule but:

 

Photo attached of snippet from my husband's interview letter:

image.png.708d232ab21aba0d78d2481629b10f69.png

 

As far as what he actually brought, since with these things I'm OCD about:

  • The letter
  • Greencard
  • Passport
  • Selective Service printout showing not eligible since over 31:  https://www.sss.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=0Ky-rgZai_Y%3d&portalid=0   Hope that link works.  If not, click here: https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Status-Information-Letter and then scroll down to "

    If asked for a "status information letter," these men may print a form letter concerning their request for a letter for use with USCIS" and click link

  • Our marriage certificate (original certified )
  • Proof of my former divorce (certified copy)
  • My birth certificate (original certified)
  • Not asked for but also brought:
    • Full printout of application
    • Printout of all documents uploaded to our case file since we submitted online.  Note that while we uploaded our tax transcripts as part of the application, the immigration officer asked for them as they weren't in her file. Bring everything you already submitted as precaution IMO.
    • Original traffic citation (copy had been uploaded) and proof of court fees/fines payment
  • 1 page printout of list of mistakes/typos made in his application that needed to be fixed during the interview

What he was actually asked to present:

  • Letter, GC Passport, marriage certificate, my birth certificate, tax transcripts.   
  • I was also asked to present my drivers license after the fact when the IO was leading him back into the waiting room to get me.  
  • That 1 page doc showing all the mistakes to be corrected

 

Thank you, what do you do if you don't have original traffic ticket but you have an invoice showing you paid it?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bestluck said:

I have interview next month and did IO approved your application how was your interview what question officer ask you please ?

The IO did approve my husband's applications.  The interview was standard, although his IO wasn't the nicest.   He was stressed out and didn't remember all the questions but it was standard stuff on how many senators there are, questions about 1st amendment, etc.  There are some great apps out there for your phone to practice on.   None of the questions was a surprise as they were all in the apps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Thank you, what do you do if you don't have original traffic ticket but you have an invoice showing you paid it?

We didn't have that situation but I'd recommend trying two things:

1) Call DMV and get a copy of your driving record (you may end up having to go to DMV in person)

2) Call the courthouse clerk in the district/city you got the ticket in and see if they can get a copy for you.

 

The first option is more likely to work, assuming the ticket still shows on your record.  A lot of courthouses don't have a record of traffic tickets once they are paid but some do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

The IO did approve my husband's applications.  The interview was standard, although his IO wasn't the nicest.   He was stressed out and didn't remember all the questions but it was standard stuff on how many senators there are, questions about 1st amendment, etc.  There are some great apps out there for your phone to practice on.   None of the questions was a surprise as they were all in the apps.

Thank you for replay and congratulation on your approve , can you tell me what app is that i need to install on my phone i am kinda new with everything please 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×