MattAndOana

File I-864EZ or get a joint sponsor

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I am the USC petitioner for my wife, currently gathering documentation for the AOS I-864 for an IR-1 visa.  I have lived abroad since 2010, and currently live with my wife.  We are applying electronically via the Bucharest Embassy.

My conundrum is the following:  I currently have a US job working remotely.  I've been with them since January 2018, making well over the 125% guideline.  So, for proof of current income, I am confident that we are covered.

For the previous tax years, I worked in Romania for a Romanian company, and filed tax returns in the US, using the Foreign Earned Income forms.  I made $15,000 or less in each of those tax years, which is a good salary for Romania, but below the poverty line in the US.  If I choose to fill out the I-864EZ and use only my income and tax records, will I have problems considering my past income was so low?

Alternately I can ask my father to be a joint sponsor as he has plenty of current income, and his past three years of tax returns will be similarly high.  Is this overkill?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.