Robbiesdad

I-130 and a birth certificate typo

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

Not sure of this is the right forum or not, so apologies in advance if it isn’t.

Anyway, just wanted to ask: my mom got her green card last year and now she wants to file a petition for me. Thing is, she discovered a typo on her middle name in her birth certificate (let’s say “Tin” should be “Tan”). Will this pose a problem, do you guys think? We have an affidavit that says she’s the same person (and documentary evidence), but I’m wondering if we should take the plunge and get a Cert of Finality as well. 

Thanks!

-K

What name is shown in her passport?

Her name in your birth certificate matches her passport and/or birth certificate?    

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

Hey, Hank! The mistake isn’t on her passport (it’s her middle name before she married), but it is on my birth certificate. Her certificate shows her parents’ correct names but her middle name isn’t included in her written name. Basically, just her first and last name. Does she need her own birth certificate to prove a mother-child relationship or are there any other documents she can use?

3 hours ago, Robbiesdad said:

Hey, Hank! The mistake isn’t on her passport (it’s her middle name before she married), but it is on my birth certificate. Her certificate shows her parents’ correct names but her middle name isn’t included in her written name. Basically, just her first and last name. Does she need her own birth certificate to prove a mother-child relationship or are there any other documents she can use?

OK.  I was just trying to clarify that the oops is only on her BC and nowhere else.  BUT .. then you state her middle name is misspelled, TIN instead of TAN,  on your BC.  And on her BC there is no middle name at all.

On your BC her middle name should be her maiden surname, so her maiden name before marriage was SUSAN TAN, and now is (married) SUSAN TAN ROBINSON, but on your BC is shows SUSAN TIN ROBINSON? 

No middle name on her BC would indicate illegitimate birth.   And if that is so then there is nothing to correct on her BC.   

Her first and last name match on your BC?   Her middle name (or lack thereof) between your BC and her's would not match.

This stuff can make a person dizzy.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

On 1/9/2019 at 5:55 PM, Hank_ said:

OK.  I was just trying to clarify that the oops is only on her BC and nowhere else.  BUT .. then you state her middle name is misspelled, TIN instead of TAN,  on your BC.  And on her BC there is no middle name at all.

On your BC her middle name should be her maiden surname, so her maiden name before marriage was SUSAN TAN, and now is (married) SUSAN TAN ROBINSON, but on your BC is shows SUSAN TIN ROBINSON? 

No middle name on her BC would indicate illegitimate birth.   And if that is so then there is nothing to correct on her BC.   

Her first and last name match on your BC?   Her middle name (or lack thereof) between your BC and her's would not match.

This stuff can make a person dizzy.

It really does.

Still, it’s a relief :D Thanks for replying 🌟

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.