Jump to content

going back to my country after getting LPR card


2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy

Hi all,

I know that it has been already asked the question that I'm gonna ask, and before writing I browsed in here, but I couldn't find any message related to what I want to get confirmed.

I would like to get confirmed if when you go back to yr country with the LPR card, you also take , obviously , your passport from yr country and a photocopy of the marriage certificate, and that's it, right?

If you are a female, the fly ticket must be with the name on according to the passport name although once married you have changed you last name into your husband's last name, right?

Since I kept my maiden last name as middle name and then my new last name is as per my husband's last name, my fly ticket should be in my maiden name as per my passport?

Thanks to all of you guys for yr help!!!!!! :)

K1 VISA: 07/25/06 GOT VISA!!!!!!

30th of September 2006 WEDDING

AOS:01/29/2007 received Permanent Resident Card (GC)

ROC:04/11/2009 received Permanent Resident Card (GC) expiring in 2019!!!!


on 05/21/2010 Sent out docs to Arizona Lockbox Facility address via USPS

on 06/30/2010 Biometrics

on 09/24/2010 Interview Day - Passed the Test

on 10/19/2010 Oath - USA CITIZEN!!!!!

on 10/20/2010 I requested the US Passport

on 11/02/2010 the US Passport was received by Priority Mail

on 11/03/2010 @ the Social Security Office I changed my status from Resident to US Citizen


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela

It is highly recommended that your ticket be issued in the same name as the passport. You only need to show your Green Card when coming back, and here in the US, the immigration personnel is used to seeing passports in the maiden name and green cards in your married name. I've read here that some countries make a hassle when people are trying to come back, I dont know if it's out of lack of knowledge or what.

You will need to show your GC when leaving your home country, as proof that you can legally enter the US (as if you were showing your visa in your passport). Take your marriage certificate in case anyone wants to see proof of your name change.

Good luck...


PS: When leaving Spain, I was required of another document in my married name (I used my Driver's license), and another one in my maiden name (I used the Venezuelan National ID Card). That was besides the marriage certificate. But I've travelled to Italy several times, and they are ok with just the GC.

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...