IgorB

Going to Czech Republic with USA Refugee Travel document

10 posts in this topic

I am citizen of Ukraine who lives in USA as an asylee. I have a refugee travel document that allows me to travel to different countries, including EU, for instance I can go to Germany without getting a Shenzen visa, just with my travel document. However, I didn't find anything about entering Czech Republic. Am I allowed to enter Czech Republic without having a Shenzen visa if I legally entered Shenzen zone in Germany and have a stamp in my travel document for that? I do not have a Ukrainian biometric passport to enter Shenzen country without a visa, so my Refugee travel document is going to be the one I will use for that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

That's an interesting question.  I would, however, direct you to the Czech Embassy and speak to them directly.  

Speak to the Consular division.....they will assist you.

https://www.mzv.cz/washington/en/consular_information/travel_to_CR/index.html

Good luck!

Interesting to know, how/why did you seek asylum in the US?  You from the eastern part?  Donetsk/Lughansk area

Timeline

Don't email...call

They do speak about visa challenges, because I spoke to them today regarding someone with a Chinese passport and processing time.

Timeline

OK...did some checking for you.  From what I researched, Yes you will need to get a visa and utilize your refugee travel document.  Permitted.  There are countries where you don't need a Shengen and can travel with just the refugee document.  Czech, however, is not one of those countries.  You can travel to Germany, with no visa on your refugee document, but you wouldn't be allowed to cross the border over to Czech, even though Germany is Shengen.  Also, you apply for the visa, which is Shengen, by the way, with the country where you will spend the most time in....from what I see that mean Czech.

Now you will need to go to the Czech embassy or consulate to start the process.  Appointment is required.  It will then take up to 15 days, and possibly more, to process your application.  You can find out which consulate, or if you need to go to the embassy in DC on the website.

I don't think you will have any challenges if you do what they outline on their website.  

Timeline

Most welcome.

I would try to get an appointment on a Monday...leave Sunday and then drive back/fly back after the interview.  That might help with little impact to taking a day off, unless, of course, you work on Sunday's!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.