rwmrwm

Validity of Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (Form I-693)

3 posts in this topic

I just received this letter from USCIS. My understanding was the medical exam was valid for 2 years, but it seems there was a policy change from 2 years to 60 days announced by USCIS on October 16th. It came into effect on November 1st.

The civil surgeon had certified my medical forms on August 24th and I posted the application on November 2nd.The letter says I have to "bring information to address these issues" when I have my interview or rish my application being denied. Does this mean I have to do the medical all over again?

It's a bit frustrating as I had done my research before and, as I thought the medical exam was valid for 2 years, I got it done early to stay on top of things. The policy change seems to have happened quite suddenly and obviously I knew nothing about it. Do I have any options here? Or is it best to suck it up and pay for another medical exam? Would really appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had a similar issue or has any advice.

Thanks!

letter from USCIS.jpeg

13 hours ago, rwmrwm said:

I just received this letter from USCIS. My understanding was the medical exam was valid for 2 years, but it seems there was a policy change from 2 years to 60 days announced by USCIS on October 16th. It came into effect on November 1st.

The civil surgeon had certified my medical forms on August 24th and I posted the application on November 2nd.The letter says I have to "bring information to address these issues" when I have my interview or rish my application being denied. Does this mean I have to do the medical all over again?

It's a bit frustrating as I had done my research before and, as I thought the medical exam was valid for 2 years, I got it done early to stay on top of things. The policy change seems to have happened quite suddenly and obviously I knew nothing about it. Do I have any options here? Or is it best to suck it up and pay for another medical exam? Would really appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had a similar issue or has any advice.

Thanks!

letter from USCIS.jpeg

The medical is valid for 2 years from the date of signature.

If you read the memo regarding the policy again, and combine it with the information on your courtesy letter, your particular examination is NOT valid because it was signed more than 60 days before your application for AOS was submitted.

Essentially - the 2 year validity is only in effect provided the i-693 is signed less than 60 days before your i-485 is submitted - as per the letter, yours was signed outside the 60 day window  - August 24 - November 2nd = 70 days.  Yes, you will have to re-do your medical. 

Edited by dentsflogged

I dont think you will need to redo the medical exam again. Whenever you get the interview letter, you can go back to the civil surgeon that did the medical exam and have him sign it for you. S/he might charge you a fee for that (but i highly doubt that).

05/24 PD
06/18/18 Bio apt
06/26/18 Fingerprint review was completed
09/27/18 RFE for I-864
11/04/18 Sent response to RFE
11/06/18 RFE response was received
11/07/18 Courtesy letter for I-693
11/19/18 Case is ready to be scheduled for interveiw
11/20/18 Interview was scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.