Elrona

GC holder temporary work abroad

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Estonia
Timeline

I didn't manage to find posts about other GC holders who will temporary work abroad.

For the last 2 years I have worked in New Zealand from end of June until middle of October (so like 3.5 - 4 months). My husband (USC) has been going back and forth over 8 years. Its a winter season job, so thats why he keeps going there 😃 As far as I have researched, if not setting up residency abroad, I should be able to continue that (we are thinking of doing 2 more years of it, and then thats it). I am starting to figure out already now how to prove that my residency is still in USA although I will be abroad temporary. If anyone has any suggestions, what other documents to get (or if its mad idea to even do that), its highly appreciated.

• I will apply for re-entry permit
  • Big thing in my mind is that the visa that allows me to work in New Zealand will be temporary work visa. So I don't set up residency there (even if I would want to, I couldn't) and its already established when leaving to NZ that its just temporary stay
  • I plan to apply for at least 2 credit cards in USA 
  • Would transfer the money we earn in NZ to our US bank account once a month
  • I will get my driving licence in USA done
  • I hope to have a car in USA in my name (or me and my husband)
  • I will buy return tickets when leaving USA
  • By the time I re-enter USA, me and my husband will have a rental agreement for a place 
  • By the time I re-enter USA, I will also have either a job offer or job contract to show
  • Of course, I will file USA tax returns, I will establish also there that I am resident and I will also mark down the income from NZ and if needed, will pay taxes from what I earned

I know that probably a lot of people would want to ask, that why even go there. Its pretty much also a career movement. With the job I want to do here in US, I would hugely benefit from additional experience gained from abroad (basically I get to do 2 winter a year, while other people have just 1 winter a year) and that comes handy with my work in USA. In theory it shouldn't be a problem but... I am a overthinker and I'm always considering the worst possible income (that after 3.5 months away I will be refused entry on border and have to surrender my GC).

29 minutes ago, Elrona said:

I'm always considering the worst possible income (that after 3.5 months away I will be refused entry on border and have to surrender my GC).

You should be fine. If the worst case scenario happens, then don't sign Form I-407! https://dyanwilliamslaw.com/2015/01/how-to-avoid-unintentionally-abandoning-your-u-s-residency-6-critical-steps/:

6. Be prepared to explain the temporary purpose of your trip abroad and avoid signing a Form I-407 at the port of entry

As a LPR you have rights.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Estonia
Timeline
51 minutes ago, HU87 said:

You should be fine. If the worst case scenario happens, then don't sign Form I-407! https://dyanwilliamslaw.com/2015/01/how-to-avoid-unintentionally-abandoning-your-u-s-residency-6-critical-steps/:

As a LPR you have rights.

Thank you so much! The link was really useful 😃

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.