luvcats

Approved with divorce waiver! July 2017 filer

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I was so incredibly worried and hopeless, so I just want to share my story as it may be helpful to someone who is in a similar situation. 

My ex-husband and I moved apart in May 2017 as our relationship wasn't going well for about 6 months. We still did not feel the need to get a divorce then, both for financial and practical reasons.

In late June 2017 we filed for ROC jointly and were very honest about it. I can't remember the exact day, but the NOA is dated July 17th. I explained the situation, said that we were very young when we got married (20) and submitted all the evidence I had, which wasn't much since we were merely college students living college student lives. I said that we were still thinking about whether we wanted to get divorced or not since that is a drastic decision, but that as of that Summer we were looking for new careers in separate cities even. We both signed everything.

A year later, we finally started our divorce process. It was finalized July 2018, so I sent a divorce waiver request as soon as I had the final decree. Again, I was honest, and mentioned how I had been honest in my original petition just to be safe. I was expecting at least an interview, so it was a total surprise.

I got my approval letter today (but it's dated 11/15)! 

So I hope this serves as encouragement for anyone who needs it. I am only 24 and I did it all by myself while in college, including my own divorce. It is possible!

Let me know if you have more questions about my case & good luck!

13 minutes ago, luvcats said:

Hi everyone,

I was so incredibly worried and hopeless, so I just want to share my story as it may be helpful to someone who is in a similar situation. 

My ex-husband and I moved apart in May 2017 as our relationship wasn't going well for about 6 months. We still did not feel the need to get a divorce then, both for financial and practical reasons.

In late June 2017 we filed for ROC jointly and were very honest about it. I can't remember the exact day, but the NOA is dated July 17th. I explained the situation, said that we were very young when we got married (20) and submitted all the evidence I had, which wasn't much since we were merely college students living college student lives. I said that we were still thinking about whether we wanted to get divorced or not since that is a drastic decision, but that as of that Summer we were looking for new careers in separate cities even. We both signed everything.

A year later, we finally started our divorce process. It was finalized July 2018, so I sent a divorce waiver request as soon as I had the final decree. Again, I was honest, and mentioned how I had been honest in my original petition just to be safe. I was expecting at least an interview, so it was a total surprise.

So I hope this serves as encouragement for anyone who needs it. I am only 24 and I did it all by myself while in college, including my own divorce. It is possible!

wow! you were too young. i been nagging my husband for getting married at age of 28 and divorce after a year with his ex wife(sorry im not a fan of the divorce thing 😅)..i didnt know there is more younger than him..hope next time you think 1000x before you decide of getting married again.. you're amazing though because at age of 24 you just did it all by yoursef.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 12:57 AM, luvcats said:

Hi everyone,

Nice!! I am at the same boat here, my wife decided to move out of state and I can’t do it since I just start established a career here... so my question is, since we filled the second green card together , do I need to send them (uscis) the waiver now or wait until our divorce finalized? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, hval1981 said:

Nice!! I am at the same boat here, my wife decided to move out of state and I can’t do it since I just start established a career here... so my question is, since we filled the second green card together , do I need to send them (uscis) the waiver now or wait until our divorce finalized? 

If you send it now, you'll have to say the divorce isn't finalized and they'll most likely just send you an RFE for when you have the final decree. I waited until my divorce was finalized because I knew I had a while to be approved anyways.

• 9 months later...
On 11/20/2018 at 12:57 AM, luvcats said:

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if you will response to this, but would you share you cover letter, and the evidence you sent?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.