efreedman4

I-130 Filing Question for DCF

2 posts in this topic

I am very new to this whole process and I have a few specific questions about how to fill out the I-130 form correctly in my specific case. I am filing a I-130 DCF for my husband.

I have lived and worked in Peru informally and on a tourist visa for about 2 years, so I do not know how that should actually be listed on the I-130 form, because I have heard that most people are denied for not being upfront and honest with the information.

These are my three specific questions about my case:
1. Mailing address over past five years if I have lived in Peru on a tourist visa for the last 2 years (I never overstayed the tourist visa, but they technically shouldn't have given me more time when I border hopped)
2. Employment history over past five years if I have been working informally and on a tourist visa for the past 2 years for Peruvian and U.S. companies (even though I have just received my formal residency)
3. Beneficiary's Employment Information if my husband is currently a student and has worked informally during parts of the past 5 years in his parents business.

Thank you for any help!
Edited by efreedman4

1. is up to the rules of the local USCIS office.  I would email and ask them if your residency meets the requires or not, because every consulate does things a little bit differently.  You may need to switch to a longer term residence permit, or provide more proof of your time in Peru, like rental contracts, bills, bank account history, etc.  Otherwise they may just send it to a lockbox in the USA, which means much slower processing time.

2. If you have receipts, and tax proof of your income, they can accept that.  What do your 1040's look like for the past 3 years?  Do you meet the income requirements for the poverty guidelines?  If not, and lack sufficient evidence of your side jobs, you may be able to use assets and savings as proof, or you may be asked to have a joint sponsor should they not like what they see.

3. A full-time student is considered "employment for application purposes. If he is currently only a student, write in Student and put in the applicable dates, name of school, school address, etc.  It's not a resume, so past work history isn't important for the beneficiary, verifying what they do right now is most important.  For the informal family business work, put that in the 2nd box.

Edited by givionte

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.