Jlomartin

Adjustment of I-94 Class of Admission

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I need help.  I wanted to apply for my NJ driver's license today.  I brought in what I thought was sufficient documentation to write the written exam.  Unfortunately, since we are now married the K1 Visa I initially came in with is now not valid.  They told me I need to get my I-94 updated.  Since I am married now they said I have to have my last name changed on the I-94 and the classification.  I have been looking around on the internet and on VJ and I cannot find a for sure answer.

P.S. My I-94 does not expire until January 12, 2019.

Can someone help me?

Filed: Timeline

Welcome to the USA! :) You'll find through out the immigration process you are lead around in circles. You need this to get that but to get that you need this.lol. You can search for NJ specific threads but generally speaking (remember every state is different) - What happens is you enter on the K.(I assume you got a SSN? Married name or maiden?) --- You submit the AOS packet with the EAD/AP all filled out in your married name and USCIS will process it and update the SAVE system (what DMV uses to verify immigration). There is no way to know of the exact moment someone at USCIS updates it. BUT when you get an EAD you can be 100% sure it was updated. You then bring the EAD to DMV and if needed to SSA. Make sure your SSN matches the new last name or DMV probably wont accept it until you get it changed. Most DMVs want the EAD card to give a license. Forget about getting the 94 changed. Youre just going to have to wait for the EAD.

Side note- NJ huh? watch out for those u-turns!! they can drive you bonkers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.