J&Cmay2016

NBI clearance for petitioner

6 posts in this topic

We had our interview today and would have gotten approved except for a requirement that I didn't see coming. I have been here in the Philippines for just over a year in August and they said they require an NBI clearance for everyone who has been there for a year. So we got a 221(g) and have to go back to NBI tomorrow to pick up my clearance to hand it in. Just wanted to share our experience because I didn't see this requirement listed anywhere. If someone knows where it is and I just missed it, then I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for sharing this information.  I (petitioner) live here in the Philippines with my fiance.  We have been living together for over 3 years now and even though I extend my tourist visa every 30-60 days I was still wondering if I needed to get a NBI Clearance.  Well now I know.  When you was at the interview with her did they ask you any questions?

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765, I-131)

12/28/2019:  Packages sent to USCIS via Fedex

12/30/2019:  USCIS received packages

1/08/2020:  NOA for all 3 applications

1/17/2020:  Received biometrics appt letter for the I-485 and I-765 (Code 3). 

1/31/2020:  Biometrics completed

2/20/2020:  RFE

6/15/2020:  Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

6/15/2020:  I-765 (New Card is Being Produced)

6/30/2020:  Received Combo Card in the Mail

4/22/2021:  AOS Interview

4/26/2021:  AOS Approval

4/29/2021:  Permanent Resident Card received in the mail

It was on the 23,and she only asked me how long I was here and the rest were questions for my husband. Watch carefully bc she also tried to add another form on it about establishing domicile. We had it but they hadn't asked for it they were just going to assume we didn't have it. So if they try that make double sure it's not something you do have. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 hours ago, Arkitekt-GS said:

That’s strange. When we had my wife’s interview back in June they didn’t ask me for an NBI and I’d been living in Philippines for 2 years on a special-non immigrant visa. 

Must be a new requirement, or i just lucked out...

I wish I would have known about DCF before filing for a K-1.  My fiance and I have been living together here in the Philippines for over 3 years now and we have a child together and our daughter has her US citizenship, US passport, SSN card, etc.  Oh well, I'm going to get the NBI clearance and have proof of "intent to re-establish domicile" just to be on the safe side

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765, I-131)

12/28/2019:  Packages sent to USCIS via Fedex

12/30/2019:  USCIS received packages

1/08/2020:  NOA for all 3 applications

1/17/2020:  Received biometrics appt letter for the I-485 and I-765 (Code 3). 

1/31/2020:  Biometrics completed

2/20/2020:  RFE

6/15/2020:  Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

6/15/2020:  I-765 (New Card is Being Produced)

6/30/2020:  Received Combo Card in the Mail

4/22/2021:  AOS Interview

4/26/2021:  AOS Approval

4/29/2021:  Permanent Resident Card received in the mail

19 hours ago, Jay Jones said:

I wish I would have known about DCF before filing for a K-1.  My fiance and I have been living together here in the Philippines for over 3 years now and we have a child together and our daughter has her US citizenship, US passport, SSN card, etc.  Oh well, I'm going to get the NBI clearance and have proof of "intent to re-establish domicile" just to be on the safe side

Yeah we actually had filed K-1 first and then I ended up seeing a topic on this site about DCF and changed course, did a civil ceremony in Hong Kong (much simpler than Philippines) and then submitted our I-130 petition a few days after the marriage. 

Kinda sucked paying the petition fee twice, but it was totally worth it since it only took 3 months and my wife entered the US as a permanent resident as opposed to having to go thru adjustment of status. 

It might be something to consider in your case as well, depending on your timing and circumstances it might make sense to change course. Best of luck in your journey!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.