EzBrzy321

Mailing Addresses in Dominican Republic (129-F filer)

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have just recently filed the I-129F for my fiance and I would like to know the story with mailing addresses in the country. It seems they don't have a reliable postal service so my question is how will my fiance receive communication from the embassy? She says they normally go to DHL to pick up letters and packages but we did not put any DHL forwarding addresses on the application form. Is this going to be a problem?

Also...where she lives is very undesirable in Santiago. She lives in a Barrio that I can't stand because it's dangerous for her and her child with lots of gangsters and wreck-less motorcycle riders whizzing by her front door (literally and she's also been robbed at gunpoint). I have told her to search for a little bit better area to live since we may be waiting up to 1 year. This would also be cost effective because I wouldn't have to spend money on AirBnb apartments when in country I could just stay with her and donate to the rent instead. Is this a good idea to move after we have filed with her current address? Can we change her address on the application if we need to? Any advice on these issues is kindly appreciated. She's been living there almost a year and doesn't have to move otherwise. This is all me wanting her to move for safety (a young man got shot a few nights ago in front of the apartment and would have been ran over by a car if she didn't run out there). Thanks for reading.

Hi there,

Make sure you give USCIS and NVC your email address.  They will email you all information.  I just  received a email that was for my fiance stating that our case had been transferred to the Santo Domingo Embassy.  They sent that on Oct. 11th and my fiance has yet to receive anything in the mail.  So yeah, DR's maiingl system sucks.  Your fiance can go to her local postal services to see if she received any mail or she can make a trip to the Embassy to get her packet.  

Yes your fiance can definitely move, but make sure you notify USCIS of any address change.  Keeping her safe is very important.  

36 minutes ago, Nikki82 said:

Hi there,

Make sure you give USCIS and NVC your email address.  They will email you all information.  I just  received a email that was for my fiance stating that our case had been transferred to the Santo Domingo Embassy.  They sent that on Oct. 11th and my fiance has yet to receive anything in the mail.  So yeah, DR's maiingl system sucks.  Your fiance can go to her local postal services to see if she received any mail or she can make a trip to the Embassy to get her packet.  

Yes your fiance can definitely move, but make sure you notify USCIS of any address change.  Keeping her safe is very important.  

Thanks for responding. Believe it or not it was very difficult to get an answer on this I even emailed the embassy with no response. Luckily i did give my email and Hers on the application. Much appreciated!

Yes, the mail is unreliable. My husband still hasn't received any communication through imposdom.   We have received everything via email.  

Moving would be no problem, just make sure to update the address with USCIS.  

3 hours ago, EzBrzy321 said:

Thanks for responding. Believe it or not it was very difficult to get an answer on this I even emailed the embassy with no response. Luckily i did give my email and Hers on the application. Much appreciated!

You're welcome! Good luck with the process.

Fedex worked every time for us, even in a small rural town. It's expensive but reliable. You might also consider mailing the documents to a reliable person in Santo Domingo or another large city and having your fiancee pick them up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.