issea

Are tax transcripts for the last five years the necessary docs for naturalization interview?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline

My spouse will have the citizenship interview in the upcoming month. We'd like to know if we need take along with the tax transcripts for the last five years to the interview. 

I am asking this here is because there is no access of getting the 2013 tax transcript if we order it on IRS website, for they only provide those upto 3 years ago, namely 2014-2017. 

Do you guys know if it is okay to just present the tax transcripts from 2014-2017 that are ordered from IRS, meanwhile bring the copy of the tax return file for the year of 2013? Will this be a problem? We didn't expect the interview to be scheduled this early (just filed the application in late Aug, and the interview was scheduled in less than two months!!!), thinking if the interview'd take place after Jan 2019 we could order the new tax transcript of 2018 from IRS.  

If anyone has knowledge on this, please help on this question. Many thanks. 

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

Did your interview letter ask you to bring them?  If not, then I wouldn't bend over backwards to get them, especially if they're not available.  People typically say they took all their transcripts and were never asked for them.  I can't remember a single case where someone had to hand a transcript over.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline
9 minutes ago, CarlHamilton said:

Did your interview letter ask you to bring them?  If not, then I wouldn't bend over backwards to get them, especially if they're not available.  People typically say they took all their transcripts and were never asked for them.  I can't remember a single case where someone had to hand a transcript over.

Thanks very much for your reply, and that really calms our nerves :) 

Here are the required things on the interview letter: 

You MUST BRING the following with you to the interview:

• This letter.

• Your Alien Registration Card ("green card").

• Any evidence of Selective Service Registration.

• Your passport and/or any other documents you used in connection with any entries into the United States.

• Those items noted below which are applicable to you:

If applying for NATURALIZATION AS THE SPOUSE of a United States Citizen;

• Your marriage certificate.

• Proof of death or divorce for each prior marriage of yourself or spouse.

• Your spouse's birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship.

If applying for NATURALIZATION as a member of the United States Armed Forces;

• Your discharge certificate, or form DD214.

If copies of a document were submitted as evidence with your N400 application, the originals of those documents should be brought to the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.