lierre

Approved B1/B2 for family in the Philippines - ASK me anything!

2 posts in this topic

After a lot of agonizing & worry & more agonizing, my family applied for B1/B2 visa for the first time. They’re in Manila, Philippines. And got 10-year multiple entry visas!!!

So excited to have them celebrate Christmas and New Years with us here for the 1st time!

If your family is interviewing in the Philippines for a B1/B2 visa & would like to know how the process works, what my family’s experience was, and how to do it all on your own — just ask me! 😊

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

• 10 months later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I hope you see this message. Can you share your dad and sister's experiences and how they overcame the barriers for getting a tourist visa? I have been following your posts in search for help for my stepmom's case.

Here is our situation. I petitioned for my dad to immigrate to the US under IR5 visa. He recently had his interview at the USEM in Manila in the 29th of August, 2019. As of now we still don't know the result of the interview, the CO took my dad's passport and was given a paper with ceac website info and contact numbers to call to ask about the status of his visa (not the 221-g paper). He was not told immediately if his visa was approved or not. But I am really hoping his visa will be approved. Anyway, I digress.

My dad is married to my stepmom. They were together for about 10 years before they decided to marry. I couldn't file a petition for my stepmom to immigrate to the US because they got married after my 18th birthday and I would only be eligible to petition for her if the marriage occurred before my 18th birthday. Now if my dad's visa is approved I am thinking of different routes to take so that my stepmom could come and visit the United States. I am thinking about having her get a tourist visa so that if approved she can come with my dad (no plans to overstay, just wanted the visa, hopefully 10-year so she can come over for holidays or their anniversary, we want to do it the legal way). But,

1. She does not have a job. They have a small store where they sell candies and cigarettes on the street, one that you would not have to pay taxes for. She used to work as a caregiver for a chinese family but when she married my dad she stopped working there. My dad still works as a barangay tanod while waiting.

2. They really don't have any properties. They do not rent a place either. They live in a small place which is like an extension of my tita's house. They pay for the electricity bill though. 

3. They do not have kids. 

Do you think it is possible for her to get a tourist visa?

P.S. I am a US citizen, and I will be willing to shoulder all of her expenses to come over. 

I know that dad can petition for her once he is granted a green card. But still there will probably be a 2-3 years wait, if not more, before she gets granted a visa. I just want her to have the ability to come over before we start the waiting process of her immigration paperworks. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Motongever

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.