Jump to content

Name change question

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey guys I am trying to figure out if the government already recognizes my wife with my last name. 


We are waiting for her green card now but her work authorization/travel permit has my last name on it and even her SSN has my last name on it. Her Canadian passport and drivers license are the only things that have her maiden name. 


My my question is do we need to go through a name change process or does the US already recognize my last name since it’s on her permit and SSN? 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you applied for a marriage license did they give you the name change application forms and did you fill those out and pay the fee? 


I’m a little perplexed as I was under the impression that this needed to be done before assuming the new last name on the SSN.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.