Jump to content

High school or vocational school ?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

on the website of the green card lottery is asked, the school education is queried. Here in Germany, education is usually structured as follows:
a) 4 years elementary school + 8 years secondary school. After that, you change to study at the university.
b) 4 years elementary school + 6 years high school (with degree). Then you change to a vocational school for 3.5 years and learn a profession.
c) 4 years primary school + 5 years high school (no degree). Then you also change to a vocational school for 3.5 years and learn a profession (these are usually "simple" professions such as butchers, bakers, masons).

If I look at the list of graduations in the lottery form, then this is obviously written in increasing value. Consequently, a VET would be more valuable than a high school diploma. If I took the path b) above, do I have to choose Vocational School or High School? 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In DV terms, a vocational school is a school that is an alternative to a high school education but it is not one that qualifies for DV (in terms of what you listed above, probably most similar to option c).  If you have completed a proper high school education first before a post-secondary vocational school, but have not attended a university, then I believe the appropriate highest education level for DV is high school. Bear in mind however that the requirement for a qualifying high school education is that it enables you to enter university without further study, and that it is usually defined as a 12-year course of formal education. I am a bit confused therefore as to the differing “high school” periods you have above and am not sure that the high school degree in option b) is qualifying for DV. The US consulate in Germany will be able to answer that though. (It’s also possible to qualify through appropriate work experience of course.)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.