Werniman

High school or vocational school ?

2 posts in this topic

Hello,
on the website of the green card lottery is asked, the school education is queried. Here in Germany, education is usually structured as follows:
a) 4 years elementary school + 8 years secondary school. After that, you change to study at the university.
b) 4 years elementary school + 6 years high school (with degree). Then you change to a vocational school for 3.5 years and learn a profession.
c) 4 years primary school + 5 years high school (no degree). Then you also change to a vocational school for 3.5 years and learn a profession (these are usually "simple" professions such as butchers, bakers, masons).

If I look at the list of graduations in the lottery form, then this is obviously written in increasing value. Consequently, a VET would be more valuable than a high school diploma. If I took the path b) above, do I have to choose Vocational School or High School? 

In DV terms, a vocational school is a school that is an alternative to a high school education but it is not one that qualifies for DV (in terms of what you listed above, probably most similar to option c).  If you have completed a proper high school education first before a post-secondary vocational school, but have not attended a university, then I believe the appropriate highest education level for DV is high school. Bear in mind however that the requirement for a qualifying high school education is that it enables you to enter university without further study, and that it is usually defined as a 12-year course of formal education. I am a bit confused therefore as to the differing “high school” periods you have above and am not sure that the high school degree in option b) is qualifying for DV. The US consulate in Germany will be able to answer that though. (It’s also possible to qualify through appropriate work experience of course.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.