Jump to content

My fiancee resides in UAE, but is citizen of Philippines

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I'm really glad I found this site. This is my first post and I'm just getting started. Nothing has been filed yet.


First, a little background...  I met Angel (her name suits her well) on an online dating site at the beginning of June. She lives/works in Dubai (United Arab Emirates), but she is a citizen of the Philippines. I went to Dubai to spend a week with her on August 24th. She is the kindest woman I've ever known. She has a 9-year old daughter who lives in the Philippines with the child's father. Angel never married the father. The father has said that he will not allow their daughter to go to America. Angel and I are both going to the Philippines in January so I can meet her family. She hopes to convince her daughter's father to allow her daughter to go to America.


First question: When it is time for the interview at the US consulate, will she be able to go to the consulate in Dubai?  Or, will she have to go to the consulate in the Philippines?


Second question: I would like to get the K-1 process started now. As of now, the child's father will not give his consent. I know that if he changes his mind after we are married, that I can apply separately to bring her daughter to the USA.  Are there any other options? Can the child be added to the original K-1 application while it is still in process?  If so, will this delay the K-1 process?


Third question: Do you think our circumstances will raise any red flags with USCIS?


Thanks for your help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If she is a legal resident of the UAE (and not a tourist) then are can interview in the UAE or the Philippines - her choice. 


The child must ge listed on the I-129F, whether she is moving to the USA or not. It is my understanding that in the case of children born to unwed mothers in the Philippines the mother automatically has sole custody. Has she formally signed over the custody to the father? Or is this just an informal arrangement? 


The relationship has been quick, to say the least, but this is quite normal with Filipino beneficiaries so the Manila embassy (at least) will have seen it all before. Might be tougher at the Abu Dhabi embassy. 






Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, JFH said:

If she is a legal resident of the UAE (and not a tourist)

Yes, she is a legal resident of the UAE. She is there on an employment visa and has been there for about four and a half years.


Thank you for the information. I'll research about custody in the Philippines. It was my understanding that US Customs won't allow a minor child to enter with only one of the parents, unless there is a notarized affidavit from the other parent, granting permission for the visit. 

Edited by Brian+Angel

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.