2 posts in this topic

Only you can decide if you need a lawyer.  Each case is so different.  It's possible to do without a lawyer, especially if it's a straightforward situation, but complicated situations can benefit from a lawyer from what I've read here on VJ.

I would recommend reading through the guides here on VJ to get a better understanding of what to do to move forward.    

The processing times for I-601 are all over the map.  Some have valid expedition needs and get processed faster (but please - don't file for an expedition unless it's truly warranted.  Frivolous requests only slow everything down for everyone and don't get approved anyway.  If you do legitimately need one/have the circumstances that qualify - then by all means request it).  I'm at day 358 since they received ours (so hopefully we'll hear something soon).  The USCIS posted processing time (currently 12-16 months) seems fairly accurate though there are posters on here who have had to wait 24 months or more (again, case circumstances are so varied that processing times are "best guess" at the best of times).  I've been using a case tracker app and it does seem like 12-16 is a solid average for right now.  If they get backlogged - the time frame extends.  If they get ahead - it shortens.  During the past year I've seen it change from 8-12, 16-18, and 12-16 months.  It's gonna be a while, unfortunately.  There is nothing quick about it.  

The "case processing times" and "check your case status" tools available on the USCIS homepage are decent for following how processing times are moving.

Best of luck to you and your husband!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.