Jump to content

Compare professional qualifications

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

There are academic and non-academic professions. If you work here in Germany in a non-academic profession (for example, as a hairdresser, as a plumber, as a mason), you need in some professions a special qualification to be allowed to open your own company. This is called a master craftsman. This "master" has nothing to do with an academic master, but is legally equated with a bachelor's degree.

If you apply for a green card in the category EB3, you have the choice between 2 versions: professional worker and skilled worker. Professionals must hold a U.S. bachelor degree or equivalent is usually required for the profession. Education and experience may not be substituted for the degree.

Would the USCIS accept a master craftsman title as a replacement for a US undergraduate degree if the master craftsman title in Germany is equivalent to a bachelor's degree?

In other words:
Master craftsman in Germany = German bachelor.
German Bachelor = US Bachelor.
But: Is a master craftsman in Germany = US bachelor?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you so focused on the degrees? The EB3 doesn't require one. You should be able to demonstrate your skill and your employer will have to sponsor you. That's it.  

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.


Long wait begins...


11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

A master craftsman IS NOT EQUAL to a German Bachelor. It is ranked equally, but it is not equal.

In German, it is gleichwertig, but not gleichartig. (valued equally, but not of the same kind)

For example, a master craftsman does not give you the right to get a masters degree nor are you allowed to call yourself a bachelor.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, randomstairs said:

Why are you so focused on the degrees? The EB3 doesn't require one. You should be able to demonstrate your skill and your employer will have to sponsor you. That's it.  


In Germany, the education system is structured in most cases:
a) One goes 9-10 years to school and then changes for another 3.5 years to a vocational school. This concerns non-academic professions. If you want, you can later visit another school, which ends with the title "master craftsman". In some professions, this title is required to open your own company.

b) You go to school for 12-13 years and then go to college or university. These can then be completed after 3 years with a Bachelor or after 5 years with a Master's degree (academic professions).

In Germany master craftsmen and Bachelor since 2013 legally equivalent. However, a master craftsman may not say that he has a bachelor's degree.

Why am I writing this? Well, our old lawyer has done what she thought was right throughout the green card process.
But she knew that my wife does not have a bachelors degree.  The communication between the company and her was very poor. As we found out much too late, she has been trying all the time to apply for a greencard as a professional worker. For a professional worker, USCIS requires a US Bachelor or equivalent foreign degree.  
The problem: In the H1B process, you can compensate for a missing bachelors degree by having enough work experience. But this is not possible with green card applications, so "professional worker" is the wrong category. To make matters worse, the working evaluation certification states that the education + work experience of my wife corresponds to the skills of a bachelor. The result: we got an RFE, the USCIS wants a proof that my wife really has a Bachelor's degree.

The boss of my wife now had the idea that she could now simply train to become a master craftsman. He believes that the legal equality to the German Bachelor's degree makes it possible to equate the master craftsman with a US Bachelor.

Meanwhile, my wife has found out that this is not possible. The reason is the duration of the study. In Germany, you get the bachelor's degree after 3 years of study, in the US after 4 years. This means that a German bachelor's degree is not accepted by the US as equivalent to a US Bachelor's degree.
It does not matter which other qualifications in Germany are equated with a German Bachelor's degree, because the German Bachelor's degree is not accepted in the USA.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.