SunflowerSweet

I-751 Affidavits from Family only?

2 posts in this topic

Hellooo everyone!

I just finished organizing my evidence for the I-751 package and I have a quick question about affidavits. 

Now, I know these are secondary evidence and optional. I wasn’t even going to worry about collecting some but being a recent college grad and a current student, we probably don’t have as much financial ties as some other applicants. With the new RFE/NOID rules, I want to make sure we are golden!

Now, I’ve read a few places that affidavits from friends can sometimes hold more weight than those from family (harder to pay friends off? I dunno) and that a mix is best. However, since getting married, my husband and I have lived in 3 different places and the friends we are able to see regularly have changed due to distance. The only people I really keep in touch with regularly is family.

I do have some old coworkers/classmates I could ask to write something up, but seeing as they live hours away and I haven’t seen them in months, I don’t know if that negates any upper had their affidavits would have over my family.

Any thoughts appreciated!

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Who knows what is going through the case officer's mind when he/she goes through our packet and sees affidavits from friends versus family.  We chose not to wait for friends to respond to our affidavit requests.   We ended up sending in affidavits from only the U.S.Citizen spouse's sister, brother, and sister-in-law.  Again, we don't know how much weight these affidavits had, but we (mother and two daughters) got approved this month (without a RFE from VSC).  Family affidavits are better than no affidavits.  But, affidavits are just one small part of a packet of evidence.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.