GreatDane

No Lease - Bring Documents or Not?

3 posts in this topic

Since we've been living in the US, we've been beyond fortunate in that we've never actually had a lease. Initially we lived with my sister, moved to an empty apartment my father owned, and now another property. We have utility bills and other items all addressed to us where we live, but no real lease or rental agreement. When we went through AOS, this wasn't discussed. Otherwise, we have a pretty normal case with lots of evidence. 

Our N400/I751 joint interview has been officially scheduled. With it, I have included utility bill copies and other updated paperwork. Is there any need to create and sign a lease or affidavit that my father lets us use his property/we've been living at our current address for over two years? 

6 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

Since we've been living in the US, we've been beyond fortunate in that we've never actually had a lease. Initially we lived with my sister, moved to an empty apartment my father owned, and now another property. We have utility bills and other items all addressed to us where we live, but no real lease or rental agreement. When we went through AOS, this wasn't discussed. Otherwise, we have a pretty normal case with lots of evidence. 

Our N400/I751 joint interview has been officially scheduled. With it, I have included utility bill copies and other updated paperwork. Is there any need to create and sign a lease or affidavit that my father lets us use his property/we've been living at our current address for over two years? 

Maybe have an affidavit from your father just in case the immigration officer ask? 

Don't know if it is a good idea to make a fake lease and have it sign...seems risky

Filed: Timeline

You can just get a letter from your Dad saying that he provides you housing/utilities for free. Get it notarized if you can.  Do not make a phony contract stating that you pay him money if you dont. I suppose you can make a lease that says payment is zero but why go through all that, a simple letter is fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.