homesick_american

Vegetarians, beware of chocolate!

166 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

:blink::blink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6653175.stm

Some of the UK's best-selling chocolate bars, such as Mars and Twix, will no longer be suitable for vegetarians.

Also affecting brands such as Snickers and Maltesers, owner Masterfoods said it had started to use animal product rennet to make its chocolate products.

Masterfoods said the change was due to it switching the sourcing of its ingredients and the admission was a "principled decision" on its part.

The Vegetarian Society said the company's move was "incomprehensible".

'Extremely disappointed'

Masterfoods said it had started using rennet from 1 May and non-affected products had a "best before date" up to 1 October.

Rennet, a chemical sourced from calves' stomachs, is used in the production of whey.

It will now also be found in Bounty, Minstrels and Milky Way products, and the ice cream versions of all Masterfoods' bars.

"If the customer is an extremely strict vegetarian, then we are sorry the products are no longer suitable, but a less strict vegetarian should enjoy our chocolate," said Paul Goalby, corporate affairs manager for Masterfoods.

The Vegetarian Society said it was "extremely disappointed".

"At a time when more and more consumers are concerned about the provenance of their food, Masterfoods' decision to use non-vegetarian whey is a backward step," it said in a statement.

"Mars products are very popular with young people and many will be shocked to discover that their manufacture now relies on the extraction of rennet from the stomach lining of young calves," it added.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

I think I'll stick to Green & Black's and O'Conaill's chocolate then.

It's amazing how much everything has animal based stuff. Anything that is non-chocolate seems to have (should be the same in UK as everything in Ireland is imported from there) always gelatin in it. Even when I sometimes find halal candy, it is still halal gelatin. :dead: I don't really want to have ANY parts deriving from animals in my candy. So a few mints are gelatin free, chocolates ... and Haribo halal/kosher/vegan candy that I can't find no more..

I think I won't buy any Masterfoods candies then either.

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

How bizarre. I don't know what the percentage of vegetarians in the UK is, but I would have assumed it was high enough that you wouldn't want to lose them as customers.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Don't really see the problem with it, they warned vegitarians its changing. It's up to the veggies to find an alternative after all they / you chose that path. Lets be honest, big deal you can't eat a certain type of chocolate.

K3 approved 05/04/07 Leney is happy

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Don't really see the problem with it, they warned vegitarians its changing. It's up to the veggies to find an alternative after all they / you chose that path. Lets be honest, big deal you can't eat a certain type of chocolate.

Well actually there is a BIG problem with it. Yes, they are warning them in advance (which they have to do) but what if that was your favourite chocolate bar? The fact is, meat eaters can eat the veggie rennet stuff, vegetarians can't eat the meat stuff. It is all about choice. Most cheese changed over to the veggie stuff years ago, the simple fact is you don't need animal rennet for these items. It is like taking a step back, IMO.

I can't fathom it myself. There are ALOT of vegetarians in the UK and I reckon that Masterfoods have just shot themselves in the foot, their sales figures may drop quite a bit.

Edited by mags

Well actually there is a BIG problem with it. Yes, they are warning them in advance (which they have to do) but what if that was your favourite chocolate bar? The fact is, meat eaters can eat the veggie rennet stuff, vegetarians can't eat the meat stuff. It is all about choice. Most cheese changed over to the veggie stuff years ago, the simple fact is you don't need animal rennet for these items. It is like taking a step back, IMO.

I can't fathom it myself. There are ALOT of vegetarians in the UK and I reckon that Masterfoods have just shot themselves in the foot, their sales figures may drop quite a bit.

I hope their sales go through the floor; they're probably only doing it to increase their profit margins. B*stards. Animal rennet is disgusting and unnecessary. I like eating meat too, but cow stomach lining is taking it too far.

Timeline

I hope their sales go through the floor; they're probably only doing it to increase their profit margins. B*stards. Animal rennet is disgusting and unnecessary. I like eating meat too, but cow stomach lining is taking it too far.

Exactly! There is, quite simply, no need for animal rennet anymore. There are substitutes that are used throughout the food industry. As I said...it is like a step backwards.

I hope people start to boycott their foods, I really do.

Exactly! There is, quite simply, no need for animal rennet anymore. There are substitutes that are used throughout the food industry. As I said...it is like a step backwards.

I hope people start to boycott their foods, I really do.

We rarely eat candy nowadays but we definitely won't be buying any products from them again.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is a very sad Day for me :cry: :cry: :cry:

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Timeline

Favorite candy bar? so what..

Prioritize your outrage, honestly how big a deal is a candy bar? When Asda brand soup (my favorite soup for a while) announced that they would now have little to zero salt, I changed brands.. mainly because it was tasteless. There are other options available so stop making a big deal out of it.

Old saying, vote with your feet, or in this case by not buying them.

Edited by Oath

Timeline

Prioritize your outrage, honestly how big a deal is a candy bar? When Asda brand soup (my favorite soup for a while) announced that they would now have little to zero salt, I changed brands.. mainly because it was tasteless. There are other options available so stop making a big deal out of it.

I'm actually more outraged by the fact that they are reverting to using animal products again. In a world where vegetarian rennet is available, there is simply no need for the animal based product anymore.

Timeline

I'm actually more outraged by the fact that they are reverting to using animal products again. In a world where vegetarian rennet is available, there is simply no need for the animal based product anymore.

Fair one, I would like to know why they're changing after this time too even though I am a meat eating mofo :innocent:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I might be wrong, but I'm assuming their change probably has something to do with their bottom line, it being cheaper for them in some way. That seems to be the most common reason companies pull that kind of thing. They're always going to cater to the majority though, it's gonna come down to the cost effectiveness of their move.

It's that pesky majority rule. I'm a carnivore but it doesn't make much sense to me either, since EVERYONE can eat the vegetable rennet based things but not everyone can eat the animal rennet. Unless it has some massive effect on taste, I think it is rather stupid. Again though, I'm betting it's because it's cheaper for them to do so somehow.

MY TIMELINE:

MAY 2004: Met Online

NOV 2004: Andy's 1st stay with me in Florida, 3 weeks.

FEB/MAR 2005: Andy's 2nd stay with me in Florida, 1 month

APR/MAY 2005: Andy's 3rd stay with me in Florida, 1 month

OCT 2005-FEB 2006: I stay with Andy in England, 4 1/2 months

* I Proposed on Christmas 2005 & YES!*

MAY-AUG 2006: I stay with Andy in England, 3 1/2 months

AUG 2006: Andy's 4th stay with me in Florida, 3 weeks.

NOV 2006-JAN 2007: Andy's 5th stay with me in Florida, 1 3/4 months

09/05/06: I-129F Packet Sent!!

09/21/06: NOA1 Received.

12/07/06: NOA2 RECEIVED!!! W00t!!!

03/02/07: Sent off final Packet 3 checklist

03/20/07: Received Packet 4 Letter!!!!

INTERVIEW DATE: 04/19/07!!!!

04/19/07 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! APPROVED!!

04/26/07 - Passport w/ visa arrives via courier

Delta Flight arriving with fiance on 05/04/07!!!

05/04/07 - Home at last!!! w0000000t!!

06/01/07 - Our 'first' wedding at the county clerk's office.

09/19/08 - Andy walked out. That total dumb-a$$.

Fair one, I would like to know why they're changing after this time too even though I am a meat eating mofo :innocent:

Cost of course! Why else would they risk losing sales? Presumably they think the saving in using Animal rennet is worth the lost business from vegetarians.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.