Texanbybirth

We got our interview date!!!!!! (finally)

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

June 1st!!!! OMG! Not even a month away! Took long enough. :blink: Now for a few questions! Dan will be leaving (he's been visiting me here in Alabama) to head back up to Canada. We have his medical appointment scheduled for May 23rd. Now for my questions.

1- We want to rent a car for a month (rent here and return here in Alabama). Do you know of any problems with him crossing the border in a rental car?

2- He wants to take our dog with him to Canada. (I am a nurse and just recently signed a contract to work 3 to 4 12 hour shifts. So noone will be home to take the dog out while I am at work.) The dog has all of his shots and has been neutered. Any problems with this?

3- How long does it take to get your Criminal Background Check? (We realize it has to be Canada wide. He has never had a problem with the law.)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No

No.....carry the papers because they wont ask for them if unless you dont have them , then they will

and I dunno for sure.....but I think it depends which post does it :unsure:

and Congrats again :D

Edited by CutienPurg
google.gif

First of all, congratulations! :D

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it takes roughly a week to get the background check from the RCMP? I think it depends on which office and whereabouts you are located, though.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My background check took 2-3 business days..

And CONGRADULATIONS!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

U have been on here for a long time and dont know about the Criminal check,lol kidding. It all depends where u are! Some give it on the spot, some take longer (up to a weekor so, or a few days) Some are free, some are not. Some want proof (letter in ur pkg) stating why u need it done! So best to phone them and ask! Hopefully he has NEVER had a criminal record, because if he has,then he needs fingerprinting. NO criminal record = no fingerprinting!

Regarding the car rental, one is best to call the car rental place and see what there conditions are. I know other Cdns on here got a hassle driving there fiance/spouse USA plated car across into Canada,belive one was even denied. Good question for Neiks or zyggy

Congrats

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Wow, haven't seen you in ages! So happy to hear you finally got your interview date!

I rented a car in Toronto and drove around the US for a month one time. Wasn't a problem. Think it was from Enterprise. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Background checks, since he has no criminal record, take only days. Sometimes while you wait depending on where he lives.

I'd be calling someone about the dog however....maybe it's different if he/she is just visiting vs. immigrating. As well, probably best to bring any papers showing the dog had all his/her shots etc.

Best of luck in the upcoming few weeks!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

I missed ur no trouble with law statement, need more coffee

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This based solely on my past experiences... Don't take my word for it though.

A. Dog is no problem to take across the border. If you can have your vet give you a record of it's shots, that would be helpful under certain circumstances. It depends on the customs agent at the border. We've crossed 2-3 dozen times back and forth and we sometimes asked for it's shot records and sometimes they just tell you what a cute dog you have. I beleive at some point we were told you are required a shot record.

B. As for the car rental, a canadaian resident can't drive an american plated car in Canada. This does not apply to the Us though. A canadaian can drive an american plated in the US. Several months ago when we crossed the border into Canada, I (Canadian) was driving my fiancee's (American Plated) into Canada with her in the passenger seat. The agent had us turn off the vehicle and switch seats. We were told about the law and how it is their right to have the car impounded and have us ticketed, fine etc.. My truck broke down at my fiancee's approximately 2 years ago and i needed to get back home for work. I called Enterprise and Avis, and was told that as a Canadian resident with a Canadian License they would not rent me a car to take back to Canada as it is illegal to drive a rental into canada if your not American... This is just my experience and we all know how some employees like to take the easy way out and this might have been the case with these guys.

C. My background check took literally 5 minutes upon my arrival into his office and i received it in the mail within 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.

21 July Submitted I-129F To Vermont

18 August 2006 Received a request to provide more information we've met in the last 2 years

19 August 2006 Submit additional requested information

04 October 2006 I-129F approved at Vermont

07 November Received Packet 3 From Montreal For K1 Visa

08 November Submit form DS-230

21 November 2006 Submit Checklist

12 January 2007 We are put on wait list for interview

08 March 07 Contact Montreal Consulate and are told to wait for up to 4 months

April-May Phone calls and e-mails to Montreal Consulate are unanswered. Still Waiting

We want to rent a car for a month (rent here and return here in Alabama). Do you know of any problems with him crossing the border in a rental car?

2- He wants to take our dog with him to Canada. (I am a nurse and just recently signed a contract to work 3 to 4 12 hour shifts. So noone will be home to take the dog out while I am at work.) The dog has all of his shots and has been neutered. Any problems with this?

3- How long does it take to get your Criminal Background Check? (We realize it has to be Canada wide. He has never had a problem with the law.)

First, Big congrats on you interview.

1. No problems with the rental Car as long as one of you is a US resident with a US drivers license.

2. Dog just need it's updated rabies shot. Most people get their animals rabies updated every year. Our regulations say as long as it's been done in the past 3 years. Bring the actual certificate from the vet - a tag on the collar isn't suffice.

3. This depends some people seemed to have to wait weeks, some get it right away. I think it depends on where you get it done. It's a basic CPIC check and it only takes minutes to run. It will depend how busy the police/rcmp are to do it for you. Call and ask each place seems to have different policies and fees.

Good luck on you interview.

Timeline

is it just going to be him (cdn citizen) alone going back to Canada in the rental car?? I guess thats how my widdle brain read it as, lol

Iknow some rental companies in Canada that dont allow ther car to go out of the province! At least that was the case in 2000 when I wanted to drive from Victoria BC to Sk! Guess they would not know (unlimited miles) but if one was to get into an accident, then the problems may arise (insurance wise, etc)

Edited by flames9

If the Canadian is by himself then, No. They probably won't/or shouldnt' rent a car to you if your intent is for the Canadian to drive it into Canada. This is from the Alamo site:

Rentals originating in the United States (USA) can be driven throughout the USA and Canada. Vehicles cannot be driven into Mexico. *Please note: Canadian citizens cannot rent a car in the US and drive it into Canada.
The vehicle would have to have the Canadian duty and tax paid on it. Unless there are car companies in the US that have Canadian duty paid vehicles.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.