Tilly87

Recent EAD Expedite Timelines?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

Does anyone have a recent EAD expedite request experience (and timeline) that they could share? I'm considering putting in for one myself in about 2 weeks from now; I have having a small surgery tomorrow and so I'm not going to worry about immigration stuff till I have recovered :D but afterward I think I might at least try. I had an OPT EAD through my F-1 student visa last year, and I had a wonderful position with a great employer. Although I'm not under any pressure to return by a certain date, they want me back and I want to be back, haha (my bosses have been through the immigration process themselves and understand that the wait times are out of my control).  As of today I've waited 121 days for my EAD, which is not outside of the current normal processing times at all, but enough that I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to request an expedite; I am confident my previous employer would provide me with a written job offer. My biometrics were taken on March 28 and processed on April 7, so that is all in order. Back to the point for this thread: I'm just curious about how long it has been taking others for expediting as of late, as I hear the processing times even for that have increased drastically.  

Thanks!  :)

Not unreasonable at all to request an expedite in my opinion - take a look at the following:

General how-to:

Recent case of someone who expedited based on job offer:

Recent case of someone who expedited based on termination letter (she was in the same position you are - her employer however sent her a letter to terminate her employment based on her EAD expiring, but it may have been possible for her to also expedite just based on a "renewed" job offer - worth looking into):

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress :) 

h

Timeline
6 hours ago, LizM said:

Not unreasonable at all to request an expedite in my opinion - take a look at the following:

General how-to:

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress :) 

Thank you so much! Very helpful. I had asked my lawyer as well, and he got back to me saying that according to the processing times report for the National Benefits Center (where my case is), they are currently processing I-765's connected to a Spousal Petition with a receipt date of January 5, 2018; my receipt date is February 26, 2018 so I'd have roughly a month and a half to go if I waited. His suggestion is I wait till I am recovered from surgery, probably a week from now, and he'll do a little research on expediting in the meantime, but said it probably will involve an infopass appointment. He has quite a bit of experience processing AOS cases for clients but none have asked about expediting before, so this is newer territory for him too; he said he's a little nervous about doing anything that may interrupt the government's regular process with my case, as in his experience, that is usually when things get messed up. But he thought it would be worthwhile for us to investigate (since 1.5 months is a substantial chunk of time compared to say a week or two), and he didn't seem to think it would jeopardize my I-485, which I had been a little leery about since my husband is using a co-sponsor (his parents) for the I-130; because of that, I was a little worried to request expediting due to "financial loss."  

I think I'll wait a week more as I mentioned earlier, and as soon as I am up and at it again, I will get to work on gathering copies of the things I will probably need: cover letter, I-797C's, maybe my stamped biometrics I-797C, and a letter from my employer that documents that I worked for them before, and that not having me at the company is causing them financial loss/hardship. I am also considering including a bank statement, not sure yet. From what I have seen in the threads you linked above, it is a 1-800 number you call; perhaps I'll try a combination of calling followed by infopass, to make sure the request is being processed. (Our field office is Seattle, which was great when I got my biometrics done, so I don't feel too stressed at the thought of paying them an extra visit(). Or maybe I'll get that wonderful "Your card is being printed" notice in a week and not have to do this at all! :D 

I shall update and document what happens, as I know my experience may be helpful to others in the future. Thanks again!

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sure, my lawyer said same and had zero idea about expedites. Most lawyers still think 90days is the timeline like before and do not know how bad it has gotten. Lawyers response sounds like very lawyerology. There is nothing that is going to slow down/speed up your case and the date on the website is a total guess by USCIS. The wait is going to be long, every field office is delayed due to additional interviews. 

Also if you applied when your OPT was valid and have not informed USCIS is delayed very likely your case is bottom of the pile being delayed. So that alone is worth a call. Infopass is not needed to initiate an expedite either.

Think you have a very strong case like NancyLyz to get an expedite truly. Good luck with surgery.

Timeline
1 hour ago, A&H2018 said:

Sure, my lawyer said same and had zero idea about expedites. Most lawyers still think 90days is the timeline like before and do not know how bad it has gotten. Lawyers response sounds like very lawyerology. There is nothing that is going to slow down/speed up your case and the date on the website is a total guess by USCIS. The wait is going to be long, every field office is delayed due to additional interviews. 

Also if you applied when your OPT was valid and have not informed USCIS is delayed very likely your case is bottom of the pile being delayed. So that alone is worth a call. Infopass is not needed to initiate an expedite either.

Think you have a very strong case like NancyLyz to get an expedite truly. Good luck with surgery.

Thanks! I suspected as much. I value his input on some stuff (such as whether it could cause problems with scrutiny of our finances) due to his experience in seeing how USCIS reacts to certain info, but I think I'm going to go with my gut on this one, especially since he was honest in not knowing about the option.

My OPT expired Feb 5, and I terminated employment on that date and indicated such on the I-485,  which we filed on Feb 20/receipt date Feb 26, so I don't think the "bottom of the pile" thing should have happened (on the I-765, we applied for a new EAD since mine was expired and non renewable). Also later in our response to a sponsor finances RFE, we included our 2017 tax returns, showing my income since we filed jointly, and in the cover letter we stated clearly that my employment was terminated due to work authorization and that employer wanted me back as soon as I can legally work again. The RFE was processed and my case taken off hold, then moved to "ready to be scheduled for interview" so I know they read our response. But I  also know that doesn't mean they retained the information  or passed it on to the department processing my EAD, and so I'll make sure to make that information clear in my cover letter for the expedite request; I am seeing (from your comment and from one of the posts that LizM linked) that termination due to work authorization expiring seems to be a  solid reason for expedite requests. Thanks for pointing that out! :) Very fired up to get working on this, hehe. 

PS: Also thanks for confirmation on it being just a phone call! Makes things easier, our field office is a 2 hour drive away. 

Edited by Tilly87

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.