onwa

When do medical exams expire

7 posts in this topic

My husband's medical was done 1 year ago in May. We haven't heard anything on our case since Oct. 1. We have an INFOPASS appointment on Tuesday just to make sure the case isn't in some black hole. But I really don't want to have to go through another medical again if our AOS is not approved before mid May. So, what is the knowledge base on this?

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Your husband should have received a packet from the embassy when he received his K-1. That was his medical exam results. As long as he submitted this package when he entered the US, then the medical exam should be with your filed AOS application. To the best of my knowledge, K-1s do not need another medical exam as long as the AOS application is filed within a year of the overseas medical.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
K-1s do not need another medical exam as long as the AOS application is filed within a year of the overseas medical.

Yep, that's correct.

Onwa, did you submit a vaccination supplement with your husband's AOS application? If not, you will need to organise one through a civil surgeon.

Good luck at your Infopass appointment, I hope you get your situation sorted out. :)

K-1s do not need another medical exam as long as the AOS application is filed within a year of the overseas medical.

Yep, that's correct.

Onwa, did you submit a vaccination supplement with your husband's AOS application? If not, you will need to organise one through a civil surgeon.

Good luck at your Infopass appointment, I hope you get your situation sorted out. :)

Well, I'm glad we won't have to do another medical. We didn't submit the vacc supplement because he did do them all--they are in the sealed envelope so I figured 1) they have it and will let us go or 2) we will get an RFE

But I wanted to send it in so he could his EAD--which we received in November. I won't mind an RFE--as long as I know our file isn't lost or they sent us communication we never got. The online status for EAD still says they are processing it--even though we received the card so long ago--so I don't trust what the site says!

Thanks for the replies. Kia

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Timeline

Are you referring to the sealed envelope given at the Consulate at the end of a successful visa interview (and subsequently handed in at the POE on arrival in the US) or the vaccination supplement sealed envelope? Sorry for the continual questions, I just want to make sure I understand the situation before I answer.

The completed medical would have been in the sealed envelope handed in at the POE. Following that, you are required to get a Vaccination Supplement (form I-693A) completed for AOS (provided the K1 medical is less than a year old at time of AOS application). You get the I-693A completed by taking your vaccination history to a civil surgeon who will transfer the information to the form and then seal it in an envelope. You can either submit this sealed envelope along with your AOS application, or take it along to the interview.

I hope that makes sense. It sounds right to me, but hey, I'm hungry and not thinking straight. :)

I believe the initial medical is good for a year so if you haven't had your interview by the time it expires you could be required to do another one. Most certainly call around because you will get a wide range in pricing. Good luck, I hope your interview comes soon.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline
I believe the initial medical is good for a year so if you haven't had your interview by the time it expires you could be required to do another one. Most certainly call around because you will get a wide range in pricing. Good luck, I hope your interview comes soon.

Jasman, my understanding is that as long as the medical has been done within the year prior to AOS application, you're good to go, and another complete medical is not required (only the vaccination supplement is required). This may be different if an exorbitant amount of time has passed by the time of the AOS interview. In seems that in most situations, an AOS applicant has their interview more than a year after their K1 (or other) medical, and this is acceptable.

However, I know the USCIS professionals can be a bit tricky to predict sometimes. :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.