3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hi There

this is an exiting time, i'm almost there.  Hopefully everything is well.

i'm ready to file Ds-160 Form.  My fiancee has a daughter 3 years of age.

should i apply two form or just one for the mother (my fiancee) only ?

thanks in adavance...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Only the K1/2 applicants (beneficiary) need to fill out the DS-160.

That said, assuming that her daughter is a K-2 applicant, yes she will need a separate DS-160 filed for her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Yes that's corrected.  I just got an email from the embassy said the same thing.  thank you.

On 7/26/2017 at 11:49 PM, KULtoATL said:

1) Applying for K-1 now to get married in October is impossible. If you want to apply for K-1, do not make any travel or wedding plans in advance that cannot be postponed or changed or cancelled until the visa is in hand to avoid losing money.

Typical case currently takes 6-8 months. If there's RFE, extended AP or USCIS related delay causes (backlog, speed of adjudicator, holiday season etc), that will add on to the processing time.

Please note that religious or cultural wedding ceremony is not encouraged as USCIS will see you as being "too married" for a fiancee visa. For K-1, any kind of wedding or registration of marriage should only occur upon entry into the US.

If getting married in Cambodia in a timely manner or on a specific date is important, you can consider getting married first and then applying for a CR-1/IR-1 spousal visa instead. Alas, the wait is slightly longer than K-1 but she'd be granted PR immediately at POE.

2) Depending on the age of the child, the child can "piggybacked" on the I-129F and once the petition is approved, the child can apply as a K-2 at the embassy level while the mother is doing K-1. K-2 is for unmarried children under the age of 21.

3) In order for her to travel out of the US upon entering and getting married with a K-1, she'll need to file for AOS + EAD + AP. The AP is what allows her to travel out of and return to the US. The EAD + AP combo card does not arrive immediately and usually takes a few months for issuance.

She cannot stay outside of the US for an extended period of time even with an AP. She'll need to maintain her presence in the US. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.