wanderlust88

How to travel with gold jewelry

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

This is mostly for people from the Indian sub-continent who moved from some part of the world to the US. How did you travel with your gold jewelry to US? I'm not asking about restrictions in your home countries, but US customs requirements. Did you have to fill out any forms? Some people online suggested wearing them, but as desis know, our jewelry is quite heavy (especially wedding sets) and it is not practical to travel with them while wearing them. 

On 4/10/2018 at 10:23 PM, wanderlust88 said:

Hello,

This is mostly for people from the Indian sub-continent who moved from some part of the world to the US. How did you travel with your gold jewelry to US? I'm not asking about restrictions in your home countries, but US customs requirements. Did you have to fill out any forms? Some people online suggested wearing them, but as desis know, our jewelry is quite heavy (especially wedding sets) and it is not practical to travel with them while wearing them. 

How much gold are you talking about, exactly? When I immigrated I put all my jewelry in a carry on bag and never let it out of my sight (under the seat not in overhead bin, etc).  If it’s more jewelry than would fit in a backpack, I’m not sure how I would have done it.

Unless gold is in the form of coins or bullion and worth over $10k, it doesn’t need to be declared on your customs form. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/332/kw/332/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTIzNjg1NTMzL3NpZC90ZWtFcDdLbg%3D%3D

i honestly don’t remember if there is another line item on the form that jewelry would be classified as but if there is, just declare it. You won’t get charged duty on it.

Edited by SusieQQQ

On 4/14/2018 at 10:01 AM, SusieQQQ said:

How much gold are you talking about, exactly? When I immigrated I put all my jewelry in a carry on bag and never let it out of my sight (under the seat not in overhead bin, etc).  If it’s more jewelry than would fit in a backpack, I’m not sure how I would have done it.

Unless gold is in the form of coins or bullion and worth over $10k, it doesn’t need to be declared on your customs form. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/332/kw/332/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTIzNjg1NTMzL3NpZC90ZWtFcDdLbg%3D%3D

i honestly don’t remember if there is another line item on the form that jewelry would be classified as but if there is, just declare it. You won’t get charged duty on it.

thanks for your response! it's definitely something i can hand carry but i was wondering if there is any restriction at US border on how much personal jewelry i can bring in. sounds like there isn't any. i don't have THAT much (less than 1 KG), but it's still quite a bit to wear them through the journey. thanks for the suggestion!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.