nathan0012

Deferred flu vaccine at Knightsbridge, any advice?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I firstly want to say that I'm really grateful for visajourney and the great advice and guides I've read that have helped us so much so far.

I had my medical in London in October and my embassy interview later the same month. I was approved both times which I'm really happy about and I travel to the US in February 2018. I chose to defer having my seasonal flu vaccine when it was highlighted at Knightsbridge doctors because I had a delayed appointment to give blood not long after and didn't want that interfering with it. I thought this was ok since the vaccines don't have to be completely up to date at the medical stage. However since reading about some nightmare situations with civil surgeons and people delaying getting vaccines until after they travel to the US I'm starting to worry. In hindsight I should have had the vaccine at Knightsbridge and got it out of the way.

I have emailed Knightsbridge to ask if there is a possibility of them updating my official vaccine record if I get the jab here in the UK before I leave. Has anyone else had any experience or can offer some precious advice about this? I really don't want to run into a bad situation where I could have to fork out for another whole medical in the states.

Thanks so much!

11 minutes ago, nathan0012 said:

Hi, I firstly want to say that I'm really grateful for visajourney and the great advice and guides I've read that have helped us so much so far.

I had my medical in London in October and my embassy interview later the same month. I was approved both times which I'm really happy about and I travel to the US in February 2018. I chose to defer having my seasonal flu vaccine when it was highlighted at Knightsbridge doctors because I had a delayed appointment to give blood not long after and didn't want that interfering with it. I thought this was ok since the vaccines don't have to be completely up to date at the medical stage. However since reading about some nightmare situations with civil surgeons and people delaying getting vaccines until after they travel to the US I'm starting to worry. In hindsight I should have had the vaccine at Knightsbridge and got it out of the way.

I have emailed Knightsbridge to ask if there is a possibility of them updating my official vaccine record if I get the jab here in the UK before I leave. Has anyone else had any experience or can offer some precious advice about this? I really don't want to run into a bad situation where I could have to fork out for another whole medical in the states.

Thanks so much!

When I had my medical I was told that I only needed the flu jab too and that I had 3 options. Either get it at Knightsbridge right there and then, get it from some other health provider in the UK and then send Knightsbridge the proof of having it or having it done in the US. I decided to have it at Knightsbridge but you should be fine having it at your GP or even boots and send the proof to Knightsbridge for them to provide you with the form you need. Since you’re not leaving until Feb you should have plenty of time to get it sorted. 

44 minutes ago, nathan0012 said:

Thanks so much!

Unfortunately it is too late - your process with Knightsbridge and the embassy is done. You have your visa in hand and all of your records are enclosed in the DO NOT OPEN envelope. Knightsbridge can only correct something before it has been sent to the embassy and before the process is finished.

Your options now are narrow - but here's what you can do.

1) Go to a US Civil surgeon before you send off your AOS, get the missing vaccine there and get everything recertified. It's just the vaccine portion not the full medical. You'll need to find a US CS that will properly understand and comply. It will cost additional money since you need the vaccine, but the transcription will be affordable, provided the US CS isn't trying to scam you. They will give you the envelope all stamped and sealed, you'll send that in with your AOS.

2) Get the flu vaccine from anyone in the US. You could get it at a clinic, a walgreens or walmart.. anywhere really. Keep any and all records of receiving it. Then go to the US CS, have them fill out the appropriate form and transcribe/recertify the vaccinations including the flu vaccine. Do exactly with it as above.

3) Get the flu vaccine from somewhere in the UK, like Boots or your GP. Keep the record of receiving it. Go to a US CS, and have them fill out the form and recertify..etc.. Do exactly as above.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You can go and get one from boots and they will give you the stamped receipt with the vaccination sticker on it - £11. But you won’t need that seasonal flu vaccine after March anyway. You have your visa and you probably won’t be doing AOS until after March, so you’ll probably be asked to provide proof of next year’s flu jab by the time you get your AOS interview / they look at your AOS application. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, nathan0012 said:

Has anyone else had any experience or can offer some precious advice about this? I really don't want to run into a bad situation where I could have to fork out for another whole medical in the states.

It's too late like Yuna said. At this point I would suggest you do nothing. If the timing is right, you won't need a flu shot. If on the day of your interview, or the day your case is decided without interview, it is not flu season, then the flu jab is waived. It has nothing to do with when you mail off the packet. It is decision day that counts.

So if your case is decided between April 1 and Sept 30, then no flu shot required from any applicant. But if next flu season rolls around (Oct 1, 2018 to Mar 31. 2019) and your interview is during flu season you will probably be asked to go get one. Lots of other things can go wrong like losing you whole medical file which would require a new medical (It happens) or they say your medical is expired. So just wait and see what your interviewer says, because the various ones say all kinds of things. If he says I can't approve you without a flu shot, then you go get one and send the I-693 form from a civil surgeon directly to him and your approval will go through.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.