Marloon

Changing I-751 from Joint to Divorce waiver while its in process

93 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Since you are not sending a new 751 form the instructions are N/A. You send your letter (and anything additional stuff you have) to the service center where you originally mailed your 751. If the online system shows it was transferred (this can be for workload processing reasons) you can send a copy to both the original service center and the service center it shows it was transferred to and is now at. You can also send a copy to your local office in case your file is in the process of being transferred to the local office.

Basically you want to make sure this letter gets attached to your file and is there when the Officer picks it up to process it. So its best to send it to the service center and the local office. Keep a copy for your records. Make sure to write your A# on all the pages that you signed the letter in ink and dated it. Send it with a tracking number. You typically do not get anything back as a receipt or acknowledgement that they got it so hold on to the tracking info. If there is a problem you will need it. You may see some kind of update on the online system like name was updated or you may not. As long as you have tracking info showing they got it thats all you need to do. Just remember no one is actually going to read this letter and do anything about it right now beyond seeing that its for your case and putting it into your case file.  

Thank you very much. 

Case status says fingerprints were taken from the system and uploaded to the file in May. So I am going to send it to Dalls PO box address as that's where I sent my i751 form.

Thanks alot for all the help. 

Is it a big hassle at Immigration when I enter in US on extension of the conditional green card just in case if I leave the country? 

3 hours ago, Villanelle said:

Also it is possible to be approved w/o interview when submitting a waiver 751 or switching to a waiver 751as long as you send the final decree. Many ROC waiver cases are interviewed though. For waiver ROCs its better to assume you will be interviewed and be pleasantly surprised if you are not. 

Thanks all of you for very detailed replies and patience as this information you all provided was very critical. 

One more question-

I sent my i751 to PO Box 480 in end in Dallas but now uscia website shows the PO box to send i751 is 660 in the end. 

Should I send this paperwork to 480 or the 660 one?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

@Villanelle Thanks for the sample letter. I am in the same boat. I filed jointly with my spouse Dec 2017 and we separated June 2018 and she filed for divorce a month later. This process has been really painful and stressful. We finally got our divorce papers and now i want to write them (and attach a copy of the final decree) using your template to convert my joint petition into a waiver petition.

When we filed joint i included the following;

Rental agreement showing we live together since 2015

Joint bank account showing intermingling of our finances

Birth & Death certificate of our son (that was born to the marriage but passed)

Birth certificate of another son (4months old when we filed jointly)

Pictures of vacations we took to Canada and a bunch of others.

My question is do i need to include more evidence? I don't have anything else other than what i had initially sent. And i believe i had submitted a lot.

Also how long after sending this letter do i expect to get a response? my last case update was "'On Aug 23, 2019 we updated your date of birth for your form i-751 blah blah blah"...Since the i have gone twice to get the i-551 stamp on my passport. I can't wait for this to be over.

Do i need to explain the reason for the divorce?

Also please see what i am looking to send;

USCIS

Laguna Niguel California

11/23/2020

REQUEST TO SWITCH JOINT PETITION TO A DIVORCE WAIVER

To whom it may concern:

On xx/xx/2017, my name, A# filed a joint petition with my spouse XYZ with the California service center (Laguna Niguel, CA).

My case number is WAC-180XXXXXXX.  On June 2018 XYZ and I physically separated and filed for divorce.

Please accept this letter as my request to switch to a divorce waiver. I am attaching a copy of the divorce decree from the courts. The marriage dissolution date is 11/12/2020 and was completed at the Superior Court of California, County of Alameda in Hayward California. 

11/23/2020

(Notary)

Thanks for all your help. I have everything ready and i am looking to send this letter to them on Monday 11/23/2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.