Scotty23

advance parole? help/ experiences

13 posts in this topic

hello, im currently applying for AOS and as i am filling out the application for advance parole i am wondering what to put as my intended date of travel. Right now i dont really have a specific date, but want the AP as a way of travelling back and forth as my father is currently ill. I am also a bridesmaid in my friends wedding but that isn't until october 2018. should i mention this? can anyone tell me what they had written for their purpose of trip and does anyone have any experience of travelling with this?(read that it doesnt guarantee entry back into the usa)

thank you :)

If you checked 1.d on Part 2, and you are filing concurrently with I-485, then you do not need to fill in either section.

The I-131 instructions are confusingly laid out, but if you look carefully under:

"If you are applying for:

c. Advance Parole Document for Individuals Who Are Currently in the United States"

You can see that the list is "OR", not "AND", for all but the first bullet point. Part 4 of the form only needs to be filled out for DACA cases. This means you need to provide:

(1) A copy of any document issued to you by USCIS showing your present status, if any, in the United States; and

[...]

(3) If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of a USCIS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment application;

The EAD/AP combo card mostly seems to be what AOS cases like ours are getting now and this doesn't have any specific limits on travel. However, admission with AP alone would always be at the discretion of CBP/DHS, just like a visa or waiver, I suppose.

Edited by ajs1984

Filed I-130 + I485 Priority Mail: 10/13/2017

Received by USCIS / Priority date: 10/17/2017

NOA1 Text/Emails: 10/25/2017

NOA1 Received by Mail: 10/30/2017

Biometrics Appt Notice by Mail: 11/3/2017

Biometrics Appt: 11/15/2017

Interview Appt Notice by Mail: 1/8/2018

I-485 Case Status Updated Online to 'Interview is Scheduled': 1/9/2018

Interview Appt: 2/7/2018

'Further Review' indicated after Interview: 2/7/2018

I-131 Case Status Updated Online to 'Case Was Approved': 2/8/2018

I-765 Case Status Updated Online to 'Card Was Mailed To Me': 2/8/2018

I-485 Case Status Updated Online to 'New Card Is Being Produced': 2/8/2018

I-797 (Approval) for I-131 + I-765 Received by Mail: 2/9/2018

EAD/AP Combo Card Received by Mail: 2/10/2018

I-485 Case Status Updated Online to 'Card Was Mailed To Me': 2/13/2018

US Permanent Resident Card Received by Mail: 2/16/2018

Filed I-751 Priority Mail: 11/5/2019

NOA1 Text/Emails: 11/13/2019

NOA1 Received by Mail: 11/19/2019

Green card (CR-6) expired: 2/8/2020

Received I-751 biometrics waiver by mail: 7/9/2020

Filed N-400 electronically: 11/10/2020

I-751 'Case was transferred' (to NBC11/17/2020

Received N-400 biometrics waiver by mail: 12/14/2020

I-751 I-797 approval notice received: 6/28/2021

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello,

When I filled out the form, I was planning to go back to my home country but was not sure when. So I just put the date of a few months away from the date of filing and filled length box with 120 (days). In cover letter, I explained that" I may not travel on exact date and may not even need 120 days but due to my father being unstable, I am not sure how may days I may stay."   Card was issued with no questions asked.  So I am sure you can just enter tentative date for now.

:idea: KC

11 minutes ago, ajs1984 said:

If you checked 1.d on Part 2, and you are filing concurrently with I-485, then you do not need to fill in either section.

The I-131 instructions are confusingly laid out, but if you look carefully under:

"If you are applying for:

c. Advance Parole Document for Individuals Who Are Currently in the United States"

You can see that the list is "OR", not "AND", for all but the first bullet point. Part 4 of the form only needs to be filled out for DACA cases. This means you need to provide:

(1) A copy of any document issued to you by USCIS showing your present status, if any, in the United States; and

[...]

(3) If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of a USCIS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment application;

The EAD/AP combo card mostly seems to be what AOS cases like ours are getting now and this doesn't have any specific limits on travel. However, admission with AP alone would always be at the discretion of CBP/DHS, just like a visa or waiver, I suppose.

i did check 1.d

great, thank you. so i can just leave these parts blank.

8 minutes ago, KC & SC said:

Hello,

When I filled out the form, I was planning to go back to my home country but was not sure when. So I just put the date of a few months away from the date of filing and filled length box with 120 (days). In cover letter, I explained that" I may not travel on exact date and may not even need 120 days but due to my father being unstable, I am not sure how may days I may stay."   Card was issued with no questions asked.  So I am sure you can just enter tentative date for now.

ok thank you.

do you know if there is a certain time limit of how long you can go back for?

how long did yours take to come and did you travel using this? sorry for all the questions

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Scotty23 said:

ok thank you.

do you know if there is a certain time limit of how long you can go back for?

how long did yours take to come and did you travel using this? sorry for all the questions

I don't know there is a time limit. But if you go back for a very long time, you maybe asked questions at CBP or by immigration officer.

My card arrived in about 3 and  half months and I went back to my home country for about 40 days.

19 hours ago, KC & SC said:

I don't know there is a time limit. But if you go back for a very long time, you maybe asked questions at CBP or by immigration officer.

My card arrived in about 3 and  half months and I went back to my home country for about 40 days.

thank you, i wasnt planning on  going back for long anyway. did you have any problems coming back to US?

also, should you say you are only going for one visit or multiple. if you select one trip and end up going for multiple does this matter? i dont pln on going on multiple trips but just incase.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Scotty23 said:

also, should you say you are only going for one visit or multiple. if you select one trip and end up going for multiple does this matter? i dont pln on going on multiple trips but just incase.

When  came back to U.S. after my trip, I was sent to another room by CBP officer. I guess it is standard procedure those who have advance parole. I was sent to a room like a waiting area for those who have been stopped entry for some reason. They had me waited about 2 hours until my name was called and got my passport back. So if you have an connecting flight, I would suggest you to have plenty of time between international flight to domestic. I was at LAX. They were very busy.  I ticked single trip. I am not sure ticking multiple trips will affect you even though you don't plan to make trips.

Edited by KC & SC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I ticked multiple trips and put in a random date for the intended travel date. I wasn't planning on going anywhere but I always like to have the option. Just in case something happens back home and I need to go for an emergency or something. It was just a little something to help me feel more at ease, as opposed to feeling like I can't leave the country until my greencard comes, especially when there's almost no way of knowing how long the AOS process is going to take.

My EAD/AP combo card was issued with the serves as advance parole statement on it, I don't think it matters very much for AOS applicants what you check on the form. That's intended more for refugee travel documents and such. So don't read too much into it. It will be fine.

good luck!

N-400 Application for Naturalization

Day    00 - 08/31/20 - Submitted online N-400 application. ROC still pending. Requested combo interview.

Day    01 - 09/01/20 - NOA received online. Status says biometrics appt letter will be sent. (PD 08/31/20)

Day  141 - 01/20/21 - Biometrics reuse letter

Day  233 - 04/22/21 - ROC approved, no news on N-400

Day  288 - 06/18/21 - Interview scheduled

Day  332 - 07/30/21 - Successful interview. No decision yet.

Day 758  - 09/28/22 - Oath ceremony will be scheduled

Day 870 - 01/18/23 - Oath ceremony complete

ok great, thanks guys. i think i look into some of the questions too much and start to worry when i dont have to.

there is a question i have for the employment applications. i tried searching the website but cant find my answered i wondered if any of you could help me?... its questions 15) current immigration status... i came in may as a visitor on VWP. i should have left after 90 days so i dont know what to write as my current status? should i just say visitor? or no status as i have overstayed? My aos is family based as  i am married to a US citizen. thank you if anyone can help

Overstay and its relevance is for USCIS to worry about. You can just put VWP / Tourist.

Filed I-130 + I485 Priority Mail: 10/13/2017

Received by USCIS / Priority date: 10/17/2017

NOA1 Text/Emails: 10/25/2017

NOA1 Received by Mail: 10/30/2017

Biometrics Appt Notice by Mail: 11/3/2017

Biometrics Appt: 11/15/2017

Interview Appt Notice by Mail: 1/8/2018

I-485 Case Status Updated Online to 'Interview is Scheduled': 1/9/2018

Interview Appt: 2/7/2018

'Further Review' indicated after Interview: 2/7/2018

I-131 Case Status Updated Online to 'Case Was Approved': 2/8/2018

I-765 Case Status Updated Online to 'Card Was Mailed To Me': 2/8/2018

I-485 Case Status Updated Online to 'New Card Is Being Produced': 2/8/2018

I-797 (Approval) for I-131 + I-765 Received by Mail: 2/9/2018

EAD/AP Combo Card Received by Mail: 2/10/2018

I-485 Case Status Updated Online to 'Card Was Mailed To Me': 2/13/2018

US Permanent Resident Card Received by Mail: 2/16/2018

Filed I-751 Priority Mail: 11/5/2019

NOA1 Text/Emails: 11/13/2019

NOA1 Received by Mail: 11/19/2019

Green card (CR-6) expired: 2/8/2020

Received I-751 biometrics waiver by mail: 7/9/2020

Filed N-400 electronically: 11/10/2020

I-751 'Case was transferred' (to NBC11/17/2020

Received N-400 biometrics waiver by mail: 12/14/2020

I-751 I-797 approval notice received: 6/28/2021

14 hours ago, ajs1984 said:

Overstay and its relevance is for USCIS to worry about. You can just put VWP / Tourist.

thank you for your reply! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.